Whats the best Strocker

Smoky

I got a buddy that is looking into buying an Excursion. Which engine is better, the 7.3 or the 6.0. The two that he is lookin at are a 2003 6.0 with 110k miles, the other is a 2000 7.3 101k miles. Do they have any known issues? Is there anything he needs to look for before buying. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I am not a ford guy but if I was buying one it would be a 7.3 thats for sure. I would defenetly stay away from the earily years of the 6.0 ('03). They had a bunch of problems with those. And the 7.3 is going to last alot longer, 300,000 is not uncommon.

main issue is the cps, but that has been recalled and is now a cheap fix. The 7.3 has been around a lot longer and in my opinion has proven to be a much more reliable engine. The 2000 will have better rods as well.

I actually found out that the 6.0's in the Excursion's were built in a different plant than the ones in the trucks. Haven't heard of any issues from the Excursion's. I got a friend that has an 2003 6.0 Ex with over 150k and no motor issues yet. I have an 2000 7.3 Ex and I haven't had any problems motor or tranny wise in 199k.

What would be a fair price for either of these trucks? Both are auto, 4x4, 2003 has a plow and the 2000 has the limited package. Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully he doesnt get a chitty one.

I don't know about the excursion engines being built in a different plant or not but I have an 05 excursion 6.0 that is pukeing out the degas bottle nicely. I think the reason you don't hear of alot of problems with the excursions is that people (generaly) don't hot rod them or tow heavy with them so they have fewer problems. If you aren't looking for the fastest excursion stick with a 7.3. The issue I have with people saying the 7.3 is so much better is that the 5r100 is so much better. You can fix all the problems with a 6.0 for less than building a trans for a 7.3 if you wanna go fast. Consider what it takes to get 400+ to the ground with a 7.3 reliable vs. what it takes to get it with a 6.0. The COST of a 6.0 is just in un****ing it. But if the Excursion is going to be stock I'd get the 7.3 and enjoy the good economy and reliability of a hearty diesel in a large baby hauler and you'll probably get 200k before the vehicle needs any major services.

the 7.3 is going to be more valueable in the long run. its kinda hard to find one with the 7.3 in it. depends on what he wants to do with it. if he wanted some quick money he could buy the 7.3 and pssibly flip it to someone who really wants one.

What would be a fair price for either of these trucks? Both are auto, 4x4, 2003 has a plow and the 2000 has the limited package. Thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully he doesnt get a chitty one.

Having a plow isn't really going to make a big difference in price. It's hard to say on a fair price. Do a search on auto trader. You'll see that from the same years and mileage and what not the prices will vary a bit from place to place. I paid a little over 14k for my 2000 4x4 limited with 145k miles.

On a side note, If your friend gets the 2003 and doesn't need the plow you know where to go to get rid of it.

I dont know what his plans are for it. He probably wont keep it long, just long enough to find something else he likes. Thanks for the help. I might just have to get the 2003 for the ole lady. Family gettin bigger and the neon not cuttin it plus its a pyle, and she knows she aint touchin the Dodge.

Anyone interested in a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT? CHEAP

my 7.3 has over 230,000 miles, never had ANY problems with the engine, and is running between 420-430hp with 0 issues