What's the cure for Cruise Control Surge?

Charlie_Smith

Puzzled
I just installed DDP2's on my '96.

With the DDP2's the throttle is *very* sensitive. Just a little bit of pedal gets a puff of black smoke and a surge forward.

When using cruise control at a steady light throttle, like 65 MPH on a flat road, I have a constant surge like I'm tapping the fuel pedal and letting off about once a second. :st:

Is there an adjustment to make the cruise control less sensitive? I can't see anything looking at the shop manual.

Last edited:
Didn't see from your signature if you had done anything to the governor springs. Seems I had the same problem after changing to the 3K set. Now after 4 & 5K's, reworks of injectors the problem is gone. If you have done the GSK then you might want to start there with some minor adjustments up or down.

I have also heard of guys putting the "blow tube" off a can of WD40 in the vacuum line going to the Cruise control servo. Kinda makes the servo react slower.

Chris

I have also heard of guys putting the "blow tube" off a can of WD40 in the vacuum line going to the Cruise control servo. Kinda makes the servo react slower.

Chris

I have sort of cured the problem, using a Charlie Systems AntiSurge Valve.

This custom AntiSurge Valve is an item constructed from 2" of rubber vacuum hose and a 1/2" piece of brass tubing from a ball point pen. You crimp the middle of the brass tube almost closed and stuff it into the 2" piece of vacuum hose. This should be such that when you suck on it, it will pass air, but not much.

Then you cut the plastic vacuum tube going to the cruise control and stuff both ends of it into the 2" vacuum hose. This is better than the simple WD40 "blow tube" fix, since you can recrimp and uncrimp the brass tube until you get it just right.

This slows down the reaction of the throttle actuation diaphram so it settles down and doesn't keep surging.

Watch for our announcement of more exciting new products! :snoop:

Last edited: