whats the fix for the 6.7 running hot and popping HG's

truble6.7

ive got a 6.7 wid egr delete and dpf delete with the smarty s-67 but its running hot blowing out coolant from the overflow. mech says its the HG. one guy said it could be the egr cooler as it is still on. anyone had similar problems and or found a fix. they are saying its due to drive pressure but i have no clue

i was told that a waste gate on the factory turbo was only a temporary fix and that it would not hold up long. is that correct or will that fix completely

i was told that a waste gate on the factory turbo was only a temporary fix and that it would not hold up long. is that correct or will that fix completely

while not optimal, I wouldn't call it temporary... it depends on your power level...

the blocked EGR blocks a factory drive pressure vent...

if I had a 6.7, I would just put a real turbo on it... if you have to have an exhaust brake, I would just put an aftermarket brake on it

Forrest is right. Get a turbo that can move more air, more efficiently. I still on my entire stock bottom end, cam, and HG. There are a lot of different opinions floating around thought. First things first, you gotta pull the head, get it checked, and install studs. After that I would look into a better turbo, in short order

I ordered a s468 turbo to goone my truck. I wasnt wasting the money on anything but a better turbo. Being the design of the holset vgt its not will it fail but more when will it. Plus these things sound a wholelot better without a VGT

the multi-plate head gaskets are knowed do for "blowing" under harsh conditions and resealing them selves after the engine cools down. as for the EGR cooler... if the cooler was popped you would have leaks cold since the cooler is above the manifold, blowing coolant out the exhaust, joints, clamps. a significant loss of coolant be noticed. its not hard to double check the cooler for leaks .. it sounds like head studs are needed

Last edited:
the multi-plate head gaskets are knowed do for "blowing" under harsh conditions and resealing them selves after the engine cools down. as for the EGR cooler... if the cooler was popped you would have leaks cold since the cooler is above the manifold, blowing coolant out the exhaust, joints, clamps. a significant loss of coolant be noticed. its not hard to double check the cooler for leaks .. it sounds like head studs are needed

I'm curious what this post looked like BEFORE you edited it!!!

something like this?

greek-alphabet-4.jpg

I'm curious what this post looked like BEFORE you edited it!!!

something like this?

greek-alphabet-4.jpg

no kidding what did that have to do with anything.

Not to get into the whole drive pressure does not blow head gaskets thing again but the 6.7's with an aftermarket turbo or a wastegate you are far less likely to pop a gasket on you than one running a stock turbo $.02. Put in good studs and a good turbo and you will be much better off. My truck has never blown a gasket with such a setup and it makes twice the power it did in stock form.