whats the lifespan of the vp44 in average miles

camshaw

wondering what the most miles anybody on this forum has acheived with the vp44 pump before it went out? Mine only went for 142,000 miles...I unfortunately went off the reputation of the long life p7100 pump cummins trucks when I bought my 01 truck,hoping I could acheive the same long lifespan as the previous trucks,guess I was wrong, seems mopar replaces 49 of these vp44 pumps every week nationwide...sad story...

You get a pretty accurate 10 miles to 300k miles out of any given VP pump. Plan for closer the the 10.

10-215k. Seen pumps die anywhere in between those two numbers with various levels of modifications.

You get a pretty accurate 10 miles to 300k miles out of any given VP pump. Plan for closer the the 10.

:hehe: Funny stuff! Its true though. Ive seen/heard of several lasting over 200,000. But on the other hand Ive seen a few trucks that couldnt seem to go more than 20,000 without new one. Its really a crap shoot:bang

I sure hope all the oils, additives, etc that I've added over the years has helped mine out.

Mine has been good so far and I sure hope it stays that way. The stock lift pump did start leaking a little bit when USLD came about but it's still working ok 184k on it. I do keep a spare one in the truck box just in case though.

I've had one go 250,000,one go 110,000,and one 70,000 and the rest under 20,000. The last five have been in the rest catagory!

I've seen them last to 200K, had a replacement one last about 1.5 hours too.

if you take care of your pump, never run low fuel pressure, etc. I think the normal would be 150K for the pump. If it lasts past your one year warranty when bought from a reputable company I think 150K isn't going to be a problem.

Lavon

If you are still on the stock lift pump I'd replace it. With at least a new stocker, preferably an upgraded system...

Mine had good fuel pressure (18psi at idle, lowest I could pull it down to was 12), and I used additives every tank..

Died at 90k miles.

Just flat shut down. No warning. No sputtering. Came around a corner and the truck shut off.

It will get a P-pump when this VP dies.

Original 140k ish, the stock lift pump died at 70k replaced under warrenty then got a FASS at 100k. Like they said it is a crap shot, but if you take care of the fuel supply and run good fuel you should get a good life out of it.

if you take care of your pump, never run low fuel pressure, etc. I think the normal would be 150K for the pump. If it lasts past your one year warranty when bought from a reputable company I think 150K isn't going to be a problem.

Lavon

Its definitely a good thing to make sure that you have sufficient fuel pressure but from what I have seen, they just wont last no matter what you do. The VP is a different animal. I dont think you can assign a "normal" life span to any VP.

vp blues

well, thats what I've been coming to realize....guess I'll be selling my truck...anybody want one,dodge 2001 ram quad cab 4x4 longbed,4" lift,stock alloys,285-16s,full guages,edge,afe,4" exaust,144k miles,black and grey,new trans,brand new mopar vp44pump and new upgraded rotary liftpump,rhino lined bed,cd player,original owner..$8500...

I've had one go 250,000,one go 110,000,and one 70,000 and the rest under 20,000. The last five have been in the rest catagory!

Were all these pumps on the same truck (that thing has some miles on it if so)? Were they all from the same source? Were the longer lasting pumps the originals? What differences if any were there between the 250000 mile pump and the ones that didn't last at all?

I only ask because I've got 187k on mine and add another 1k per week, so i'm starting to think a little more about what i'm going to do when this VP goes. I couldn't care less about added performance from one. I'm looking for the longest lasting and most reliable pump to get as a replacement when the time comes.

Thanks.

Chris

vp

mine was the original mopar pump, I bought a mopar pump to replace it also,went through two stock lift pumps,now upgrading to the rotary style aftermarket lift pump before I sell the truck and then I'm going to build my p pump cummins truck, that will last forever with no electronics...my two cents..good luck..

Longest mile ones were original with the stock lift pump. Some of the others were my fault with to big of a lift pump and not putting the return back into the cannister. I learned a several thousand dollar mistake on that.

I think it is safe to reasonably say that life span of the VP44 in more dependent on the reliability of the lift pump. I think probably 50% of the VP's that die are due to an LP going out and not catching the problem before the VP suffers. I cannot think of a dodge truck locally that I know of that hasn't lost a LP in the first 100,000. Shieces of Pit I tell ya.

So far (knock on wood) I have 215k on the original VP, and I know it's been run with low to no fuel pressure before. I do run additive most tanks, try to get good clean fuel, and do not run the truck hard when cold. My personal opinion on why it has lasted so long is cycles, with a choice between leaving it idling for 10 minutes or cutting it off and recranking, it idles.

It is a crap shoot though :(

Just replaced one this afternoon for a guy, had 202k on the stock pump and stock LP. It dropped at least 3 cylinders and idled like crap.