when did they go to 6 spd auto?

weekend hooker

Tyler G.
I have only had manual 12valves and i was just wondering when they went to the 6 spd auto? and if i bought an 07 5.9 what could i do to make the auto better?

07.5 is when they got the 6 speed auto
like zstroken said the 6.7"s

Last edited:
Honestly, the stock auto in the 5.9 isn't that bad. Now, that's assuming it's taken care of and power is kept stock.

If you add power, yea it won't like it. Easy fix though, call up your chosen builder (Goerend, Ultimate, Garmon, Suncoast, etc) and tell them what you want, and they'll fix you up with what you need.

For the record, my stock trans lasted longer than the 4 rebuilds I've had...

i have a friend that has one that has PRND321 on his dash and mine is PRND....so i dont think they all have 6 speed auto trans....

i have a friend that has one that has PRND321 on his dash and mine is PRND....so i dont think they all have 6 speed auto trans....

There's no grey area here. None. All 6.7s have the 6 speed auto. All the 5.9s have the 4 speed auto. From the factory

it is a 6.7 but i have not climbed under it and looked just sayin the cluster is different then mine...

his truck is probably a cab/chassis. still a 6-speed, but a different trans. c/c trucks have an aisin as68rc. pickup trucks have a chrysler 68rfe