Where do I do now?!

jkidd_39

What do I do now?!

Just got my head back from the machine shop.

Three cracks in the head. 2 cracks in one of the ports. They are super tiny (i.e. 1/8th of an inch) 1 crack in another(1/8th of an inch)

Anything I can do to fix it? I have another head there and I'm praying it comes back perfect!

Last edited:
"Where do I do now?!" ... not sure

"Anything I can do with thing head to fix it?"....send the SOB back to the machine shop.....and either learn to read, type, or both. :hehe:

What did the shop do to it? Were they supposed to fix it or what?

Wow! I just came in soaked from the rain.. musta totally wrecked my ability to communicate! Fixed it..

I had the head cleaned and magnafluxed. Just wanted to see what condition it was in.

The other head should be cleaned and magnafluxed next week.

Just curious what my options are. If my other head is crack free I will use it for my cummins convo build.

I don't have the knowledge to help ya, but I'm sure there are dozens of threads on cracked heads. See if the search will pull one up for ya.

...and we'll gladly take some of that rain over here. :D

Small cracks are common on 24v heads. No cracks is amazing! Cummins is aware and has stated it's normal. I've seen 3 or 4 cracks on EACH seat and still have it run for a long time!

Small cracks are common on 24v heads. No cracks is amazing! Cummins is aware and has stated it's normal. I've seen 3 or 4 cracks on EACH seat and still have it run for a long time!

hmm.. well thank you.. how about run it on a 1000hp engine??

I'd really love a perfect head before I piss money into it for a port and polish and chop it for an intake

I'll get pics in the morning btw..

Buy a new head. Then you have nothing to worry about. You will be spending a LOT of money, whats a few more for piece of mind.

Find the re-usablility guidelines from cummins and compare. some cracks are normal as states above.

If your making a thousand HP a new head is a no brainer tear downs are every 10k anyway and money is no concern. But for the average joe 1000. dollars is alot of money. And your average joe makes 4 to 7 hundred HP. Which is very respectable and can last 100k easy.

The build is going to use 03 pistons/24v rods. P&P head, side intake, 625 studs. 66/480 twins, Dual CP3's. A/W and A/A intercoolers.

This is my toy. The build centers around the idea of efficiency. The lowest IAT's possible... Teflon coated bearings/ceramic coated pistons, teflon side skirts.

I guess I will just pray for a perfect head on my spare.

I'll pick up the cracked on tomorrow and get you guys some pics and this weekend I'm gonna get the bandsaw out and remove the intake.

Thanks guys! Y'all rock!

comp D is such a cruel step child

:confused:

anywho... Here are some pics.. I used a marker to show there location.

head002.jpg

After the yellow magnaflux powder was gone you cannot see the left crack. If you squint you can see the right one.

head001.jpg

Neither crack is visible. I can't even feel it with my fingernail.

I spoke with my engine builder and we are gonna wait for the results on the other head before we make a decision. If this head is gonna be used i am considering decking it and hoping I can machine the surface cracks away. Then use an oversized valve seat. Enginebuilderguy has has done this a few times with no issues.

Any suggestions?

Also, would anyone be interested in buying these heads in said condition?

Thanks alot guys! any help is much appreciated!

You have nothing to worry about. My 700hp 12v head had cracks a lot worse than that and has held up fine and will continue to do so with street, towing, and racing miles.

Put that mother on and run it! I'll bet that over 50% of the 12V and 24V engines on the road have cracks that bad or worse.

You have nothing to worry about. My 700hp 12v head had cracks a lot worse than that and has held up fine and will continue to do so with street, towing, and racing miles.

Same engine that you swole'd?! Just kidding! bif

If you piece that CR engine I have a spare head haha... I'll keep everyone updated on what we find.

Also, why were there only cracks on the middle intake valve? they were on the 3 & 5 cylinder.

Thanks guys!

Same engine that you swole'd?! Just kidding! bif

If you piece that CR engine I have a spare head haha... I'll keep everyone updated on what we find.

Also, why were there only cracks on the middle intake valve? they were on the 3 & 5 cylinder.

Thanks guys!

lol yes, I am going to just build a 12v and throw it back in there but must likely I will eventually make my race truck a cr. It's like saying why are boobs cool....they just are, and Cummins heads just have cracks between valves.

Yes sir. 130K since my head was off and had cracks in it worse than that. 400-500hp now and no issues with cracks.