Where has all the coolant gone?

FaSSt9602

I am not getting the normal puking, only VERY minor spray right on the top of the bottle, and I do mean minor.

But 3 weeks ago I noticed that my coolant was 3/4" or so below the minimum line when cold, so I marked it with a sharpie just to see if it was changing. Well last night I changed my oil and doing a little visual, there is no coolant to be found in the bottle!!! Like I said, I am not puking and I am not noticing any white smoke out of the exhaust except a little in the morning now that it is colder outside (40 degrees or so). Would the smoke be constant? Only when working the truck?

Also, dumb question as I could look in the manual, but what type of coolant do these trucks take?

Any ideas.

you could have a blown head gasket and not be burning the coolant. depending on where at it is blown. it could be between and oil and water jacket, dumping the oil into the block. im not too familiar with fords, but i had the same problem on a cummins last week and it was dumping all of the coolant into the oil pan. how hot is it getting?

Temps are fine (based on dummy gauge), and the oil looked normal by the naked eye, and the truck seems to run fine...

how low is the coolant now and. if there is any coolant you would probally have seen it when you first pulled the plug, if the engine was cool. if it was warm it may have been mixed in.

Jack up the back and pull the egr valve and see if there is coolant visible. If so time for egr and oil cooler, If not IMO take it to a shop as there are several things it could be. Motocraft Gold coolant. Good luck.

Also look for coolant residue under the truck after a coldnight. My cooler cracked and only leaked at night....ran down through the valley like Doug stated and dripped small amounts under the truck.

Well, there is definatly something moist in the valley, but I can't tell what it is...the boot on the turbo has a bunch of oil on it, so I am not sure if it is oil that I am seeing...

But, I did snap these pictures.

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

I thought I spilled a little oil on the solenoid last night when I pulled the filter, so I cleaned it all up, but tonight it is wet again...

Diagnosis?

You tell me. Its slid in place and has 2 band clamps on it. It can leak.

Back