Where to start? Picked up a 93 today..

Morse

Diesel
Bought this truck today for my nephew.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/820964425.html

I could put together a potent package for a CR or a P-pump, but this seems to be a little different. I sold my 06 today, and want him to have a quick diesel. I want it to run atleast mid 8's or faster in the eighth mile as cheaply as possible. It's completely stock. Nothing has ever been modified. Those with experience, can you please give me a list of mods and the times you've been with them? Thanks..

Mid 8's.. that is fast. I have done a 10 flat at 70 mph and mine is twice as fast as stock. 300 hp is somewhat easy. Over that it gets pricey. My advise is turbo upgrade to a S300 or hx 35 / 40 hybred, stans 4 inch exaust, some 370 or 435 new era injectors. Thats a start. If its a standard getrag it will be slower than a auto and will need a better than stock clutch. If its an auto you will need to upgrade the tranny. I have a stock auto and I am at the point where I am close to overpowering the converter. Almost forgot.... Get boost and pryo gauges before turning up the pump. Make him understand over 1200 degrees is bad. Alot of us have seen 1500 plus for short bursts. 5 seconds or so not 1 or 2 minutes. BUT I am a novice tuner.

1500 is baby egt's.. haha.. I've been modding diesels since 99.. I just have no experience with first gens.. I have a factory 4'' exhaust off my 05 I'm gonna try and make work, an HX35 with an 18.5 non gated housing, and I'm sure I can dig up some more stuff.. Anyway, I need a fuel pin, 4200 spring kit, and timing advice.. Also injector advice. Can I use second gen injectors? If so, how.. This truck won't be used for towing, just playing.. I'll address the trans, or just wait until he takes it out.. I've been reading for a couple hours to scrape up very little info.. I don't plan on running an EGT gauge in this truck.. It can only scare you.. haha..

The 93 will already have the non gated 18 housing and the HX35 is only a small update. Not much over the stock H1C turbo. Denny t pin is supposed to be good. 4200 spring won't give any more power than a 3200 spring. If you want to go 4200 you have to update valve springs. They float and crunch around 3600 i have been told. Timing depends on injectors but 1/8 inch advance over stock is common. Cheap and dirty POD injectors are good for a budget. I have none of the above. I have a S300 turbo, 4 inch stans, powerstroke 3 inch intercooler and pump mods. My injectors are the old 9mm ones the non i/c trucks had and they can flow big fuel.

The 93 will already have the non gated 18 housing and the HX35 is only a small update. Not much over the stock H1C turbo. Denny t pin is supposed to be good. 4200 spring won't give any more power than a 3200 spring. If you want to go 4200 you have to update valve springs. They float and crunch around 3600 i have been told.

LMAO! by who!?!? :hehe:

The first gens could use the 60 pound spring update. Stock springs would not do very well at 4200 rpm's. Thats my opinion. I have turned mine 3600 a couple of times but that is gettin close and it is not worth breaking things.

To run in the mid 8s you will need.

piston lift pump
IP turned up
timing advanced an 1/8" or more
3200 spring
slicks or ET street tires
locker or weld the rear
and some:nos:

Just from reading around last night, I had thought about the following:

14mm pump head
4200 spring
fuel pin
Injectors
62-12 turbo or HX35 with the 18.5 non gated housing
lift pump
Trans..

Is it worth messing with the rotary pump, or should I just scrap the idea and buy a P-pump motor and drop it in?

What about a P-pump conversion?

Well.. I took care of the pump situation.. I bought a 96 12 valve with 150k on it today.. Should move well with minor mods..

Good choice! You can make power with the ol VE pump, but.....
You was'nt going to get near as quick as you've been used to in your old CR. But you can, and then some with the p-pump. Good Luck! Ive acually just finished a VE pumped drag truck also, well be taking it to the track for the first time prob. neek week.

This is a truck for my nephew. He's been coming to diesel events with me since he was 13 (for five years). I bought another truck to use as my daily driver. It's a 94 2500 4x4 on 35's.. Should run 11's.. I'm trying to focus my funds from here on out on the camaro and a cool tow setup to get it to the tracks and shows.. This first gen being so light, it should be all he needs for a while..

Morse, check out the "quickest first gen" thread in this section, 587 with nitrous is no joke! Hey stock600, let us know how the drag truck runs!

587 is nice, but I don't want him running nitrous just yet.. I currently have all the parts to make as much as 500 on diesel only, but I think I'm going to keep it around the 425 to 450 mark for him.. Also, I don't know how much these transmissions can take. I may try to get away with just a converter and valvebody and see how long it lasts.. Don't know yet..

Morse, check out the "quickest first gen" thread in this section, 587 with nitrous is no joke! Hey stock600, let us know how the drag truck runs!

We'll do JQmile. We built it also to run on the 1/8th mile tracks, but its currently got a 1/4 mile gear in it, so right off the bat i think will tune it in over on the 1/4, then regear it for the 1/8th. We built a 518A for it, and didnt wire up 4th gear, we will use it as a 3 spd. the OD in these units are not very strong at all. We have a good convertor in it as well as a valve body. Im just like i was on my p-pump truck, we have no idea what it will run.?. Trial and error