Which AFE intake?

04powerstroke

So now that I got my bully dog for my 06 5.9L cummins, my next mod is a nice intake set up for my baby. I am going with AFE :rockwoot:
I am looking at either getting the AFE Mega Cannon Air Intake or the AFE Stage 2 Si Cold Air Intake but dont know which one would be better? the Si cost alot more but gives less hp and tq than the mega canon. Just thought i could get some opinions..... :thankyou2:

So now that I got my bully dog for my 06 5.9L cummins, my next mod is a nice intake set up for my baby. I am going with AFE :rockwoot:
I am looking at either getting the AFE Mega Cannon Air Intake or the AFE Stage 2 Si Cold Air Intake but dont know which one would be better? the Si cost alot more but gives less hp and tq than the mega canon. Just thought i could get some opinions..... :thankyou2:

There's really no difference between the two intakes as far as CFM's. The mega cannon was made for the 6.7's and just happen to fit the 5.9 also. The filter looks bigger but, has no more area of media than the stage II.

what are you doing w/ the truck. ie: dustyy driving, highway, woods? that will help you make the choice which is best for you.

When I was ready to buy mine I contacted AFE directly, they recommended if most all driving was pavement pounding to go with the Pro Dry S filter. It flows more air than the Pro-Gaurd 7 ( I thinkit is called) if however I was going to be on dusty roads and in a dirty environment then to go with the oiled filter, less flow, but better filtration.
Like he said if you want better filtration you have to give up airflow. (obviously this would pertain only to filters of the same size)
How much difference there is in flow vs. fltration, I don't remember but I bought the Pro Dry S in my AFE

i'd say for what you're doing the 5 layer blue filter would be the best for you.

well these are the cfm differences between the three

pg7--- 405 99.7% efficient
pg5--- 550 98.6% efficient
pro dry- 416 99.2% efficient

Does anyone know what CFM the Mega Cannon (oiled) filter is rated for?

don't know off hand if they have done any testing on it but i would imaine it would be very close to that 405 number.

You can calculate that if you know the Volumetric efficiency and the Horsepower.

Oops, my bad that is what you need to calculate Manifold pressure for a turbo.

The calculation for Maximum air required at 100% Volumetric efficiency would be
Displacement (cu.in.)xRPM/3456

so 360c.i.x3500rpms/3456=364.6cfm

I think that is right, or did I screw that up also?

Oops, my bad that is what you need to calculate Manifold pressure for a turbo.

The calculation for Maximum air required at 100% Volumetric efficiency would be
Displacement (cu.in.)xRPM/3456

so 360c.i.x3500rpms/3456=364.6cfm

I think that is right, or did I screw that up also?

Sounds right, just seems low......maybe because of the single turbo?

In the December (2007) issue of Diesel Power, they stated that 744 CFM is required to produce max power on Ford's twin turbo'd 6.4L. This number is again confirmed by the October (2008) issue of Diesel World, where they again state that 744 CFM is the factory calculated intake CFM.

They said that the factory setup flows 888, and the Airaid is rated at 1,065....on the Ford 6.4L.

Now onto the 2003-2007 5.9L CTD.......according the the October (2008) issue of Diesel World, the intake CFM is 800.