Which bolts would you buy?

smokin binder

DT466 fan
Just wondering if it's feasable for Head & main studs, and HD rod bolts. Not much market, plus there's no applications. I have to have em made by ARP.
Which would you buy when building a DT466 engine(up to 1000hp)? The rod bolts are going to run over $100 by them selves, and I havent got the quote for the studs yet, they have to make them.
I tried doing a poll, but I wasnt fast enuf. You have to do it in 2 minutes.
Should I.....
just do rod bolts & call it good?
Use OEM/ new bolts?
Would anyone else actually buy head & main studs or rod bolts?

Last edited:
I also would like to know. but i herd they can survive 1k hp from a dt performance builder.. Im leaving mine stock (rod bolts head bolt etc.) and might be aiming 1k-1,2hp

steve-0

That's what I was afraid of, nobody really wants/needs the studs, but the rod bolts may have more of a shot.
After all; the head & main bolts are 5/8". That, and 26 head bolts should really do a good job. That's 6 bolts per cyl.

yeah You can re-torque the head to iirc to 168 ft lbs rather then 130lbs, for higher boost app's. When mine is all said and done I looking to push right around 70-85psi of boost. and I herd these things could handle right around 100-200lbs of boost but that what I have herd?

Steve-0

At least you're doing the project that I got started on a couple years ago. I had to sell off my 466 SD project. Pro-street diesel theme. I'd at least like good insurance on rod bolts.

Im hoping it dont come to that. but I have some people behind it so I dont think it would happen

riverside engine has the rod bolts I am gonna use em' cheap insurence!

Call someone who builds pull tractors, I know they have them.

By the way ARP is cheap if you can get about 5 to 10 sets sold....
Even on a totally one off stud.

Im building my 466 now, and I will be having ARP make me up some main studs at least, to fit with the girdle, pm me if you are interested

Tom

Does Ron at Hypermax have anything for the 466? I would at least give him a call. He might know what to expect the stock hardware to hold.

Main studs and a girdle? RPM into the stratosphere! I got the number for the rod bolts, and ordered one. The shoulder is longer, and is still meaty at the rod and cap split. The OEM bolt has threads where the split is, and is where the last 466 I bought had come apart. Hard to sell a set of 5 rods.:doh:

At what power level/ rpms do you think main studs and a girdle are needed??

Just as an insurance policy, but I would look to add em if I was going past 4k rpm and/ or 1000hp.

Plans are to be around that direction if all go's well open rpm and lots of power!!:rockwoot:

Keep in mind that the block itself doesn't like anything past 6.5k rpm... They split right down the side on a horizontal plane along the cam $.02 Also, the guys around here can't seem to hold the block together with anything more than about 155 pounds of boost, but they're also running right at our 580 cubic inch limit.