Which Cam you Recommend?

cumminsrocks

Fix it till its Broke
Ive been thinking about a cam upgrade, but unsure whos to go with,best bang for the buck, regrind or not ect.. I need a little schoolin. Seems colt cam was good on the price, but are regrinds correct? Hamiltons are pricey....Is it worth $600+? And are springs a must with it, or ok to run stock springs for a while if boost is around 45lbs.
( This is off topic, but i work on isl's mainly, and have recently done all new springs/retainers/collets&seals on all 10 of our engines. We were finding lots of wear on the retainers @ 200k miles.........i am wondering if anyone has found that to be true on our 5.9's as well... should i look into doing the same on my engine? Thanks

There is days worth of reading on this subject if you search. Many of the same exact type of threads. You can probably find answers much quicker than waiting on responses.

I would be basing my need for springs more on rpms and what cam you choose rather than how much boost you have.

Ive been thinking about a cam upgrade, but unsure whos to go with,best bang for the buck, regrind or not ect.. I need a little schoolin. Seems colt cam was good on the price, but are regrinds correct? Hamiltons are pricey....Is it worth $600+? And are springs a must with it, or ok to run stock springs for a while if boost is around 45lbs.
( This is off topic, but i work on isl's mainly, and have recently done all new springs/retainers/collets&seals on all 10 of our engines. We were finding lots of wear on the retainers @ 200k miles.........i am wondering if anyone has found that to be true on our 5.9's as well... should i look into doing the same on my engine? Thanks

Complete waste of time with your mods. No they are not wearing the retainers.

Complete waste of time with your mods. No they are not wearing the retainers.

Maybe not... I was just curious if anyone has ever noticed wear there. Thanks for the replys. I do do a lot of reading, but sometimes its nice to get answers faster. Whats the problem with that? Jeez.
If anyone thinks im full of crap on the retainer wear ive seen id be glad to try to post some pics, if i still have some of the old retainers laying around. Just didnt know if our engines were prone to same type of wear.
Or are you implying a cam is a waste of time?
As for the need of springs.... Just that hamilton recommended them with a cam on their site, and i wasnt sure if it was a necessity, or not....

Last edited:
Maybe not... I was just curious if anyone has ever noticed wear there. Thanks for the replys. I do do a lot of reading, but sometimes its nice to get answers faster. Whats the problem with that? Jeez.
If anyone thinks im full of crap on the retainer wear ive seen id be glad to try to post some pics, if i still have some of the old retainers laying around. Just didnt know if our engines were prone to same type of wear.
Or are you implying a cam is a waste of time?
As for the need of springs.... Just that hamilton recommended them with a cam on their site, and i wasnt sure if it was a necessity, or not....

THIS. Won't need springs unless your pushing 4000 rpm+ or big boost/drive with compounds.

Call Zach Hamilton and talk to him about what you have and what your goals are. Let him figure out which of his products is best for you and then you can decided if you can afford the price tag. Internet seaches do wonders if you want to read days worth of rambling's from desk jockies that have hardly ever touched a cam with their own hands. Just call Zach and talk to him. Remove the middle man and opinions. $.02

In the air conditioning bussiness some times daily I will have people tell me just how much better the temp. feels in the house; when hell Ive not even got the tools out of the truck yet let alone fixed a damn thing. When a person goes through just what it takes to change a camshaft in a B series Cummins still in the truck and then pays what people charge for these things along with everything else you purchase along with the cam, and you Finally get it all back together and it runs again..... You to will feel the huge reward.

Last edited:
When a person goes through just what it takes to change a camshaft in a B series Cummins still in the truck and then pays what people charge for these things along with everything else you purchase along with the cam, and you Finally get it all back together and it runs again..... You to will feel the huge reward.

Yip. Butt dyno's aren't that great. They are always "out of calibration" it seems. LOL

Yip. Butt dyno's aren't that great. They are always "out of calibration" it seems. LOL

Ya, prob. true. But that clock at the track goes back 4 numbers, Ive prob. got more passes and data than most around here combined. I had so much fun draging with that 12v, more fun in those short 4 years than the 15 before them in gas cars.

There is days worth of reading on this subject if you search. Many of the same exact type of threads. You can probably find answers much quicker than waiting on responses.

I would be basing my need for springs more on rpms and what cam you choose rather than how much boost you have.

thank you sir
You guys want to know what is frustrating....most of you either know big name ppl that do this stuff for fun,racing,a living whatever,or have a buddy to enjoy it with shoot the $hit with about whos cummins is getting what next...Whatever. Prob have more connections,or know ppl that know their $hit ect. You get the point.
Me, im nothin much...Dont have a lota $. But i enjoy building the one motor i can afford to pampar one piece at a time. I have no buddys involved,nobody with the passion to just enjoy this stuff. So i get on here and try not to clog the forums up with a bunch a jiberish bull, but to try to get some insite from the pros, and ppl that might have some good information to share good or bad. And at the end of the day all the thread gets is a GO READ and a THANKYOU SIR??? Im sorry but why not just post something usefull for me if your going to take the time to post. I tell ya. I say that with respect for you all whos names i recognize quite well because i DO read a lot.
In the air conditioning bussiness some times daily I will have people tell me just how much better the temp. feels in the house; when hell Ive not even got the tools out of the truck yet let alone fixed a damn thing. When a person goes through just what it takes to change a camshaft in a B series Cummins still in the truck and then pays what people charge for these things along with everything else you purchase along with the cam, and you Finally get it all back together and it runs again..... You to will feel the huge reward.
^Thankyou

You understand Ryan was being facetious correct?

Aggressive marketing creates revenue, the truth does not.

Last edited:
I learned everything I know about hot rodding diesel engines from reading diesel power magazine!

I know there's a fine line between people wanting fresh info and the mods / site owners needing to watch band width...

BUT, I'm with Cumminsrocks here really... Everyone likes fresh info and getting the feeling that they're interacting with the folks that share their passion for Diesel Power.
Heck, sometimes it's just about the commrodery (sp?) with chatting with the folks on here and to get to know folks...That's how I did it.. Ask questions , Read, Research, Post, start your own threads... It's all part of the excitement of this awesome sport...

I think this ^ is getting lost a little bit in today's world.... So much BS and fighting and back stabbing....

Anyway... I encourage folks to post if they want because I understand why some do it as opposed to just being "another lurker" around here... But I don't own or have to upkeep the site, So I don't know behind the scene's frustrations...

With the exception of some Ground breaking new tech. If everone JUST searched and read old stuff, Nobody would ever post and then it'd be boring as chit!!

End Rant!!!

Last edited:
You guys want to know what is frustrating....most of you either know big name ppl that do this stuff for fun,racing,a living whatever,or have a buddy to enjoy it with shoot the $hit with about whos cummins is getting what next...Whatever. Prob have more connections,or know ppl that know their $hit ect. You get the point.
Me, im nothin much...Dont have a lota $. But i enjoy building the one motor i can afford to pampar one piece at a time. I have no buddys involved,nobody with the passion to just enjoy this stuff. So i get on here and try not to clog the forums up with a bunch a jiberish bull, but to try to get some insite from the pros, and ppl that might have some good information to share good or bad. And at the end of the day all the thread gets is a GO READ and a THANKYOU SIR??? Im sorry but why not just post something usefull for me if your going to take the time to post. I tell ya. I say that with respect for you all whos names i recognize quite well because i DO read a lot.

^Thankyou

I know there's a fine line between people wanting fresh info and the mods / site owners needing to watch band width...

BUT, I'm with Cumminsrocks here really... Everyone likes fresh info and getting the feeling that they're interacting with the folks that share their passion for Diesel Power.
Heck, sometimes it's just about the commrodery (sp?) with chatting with the folks on here and to get to know folks...That's how I did it.. Ask questions , Read, Research, Post, start your own threads... It's all part of the excitement of this awesome sport...

I think this ^ is getting lost a little bit in today's world.... So much BS and fighting and back stabbing....

Anyway... I encourage folks to post if they want because I understand why some do it as opposed to just being "another lurker" around here... But I don't own or have to upkeep the site, So I don't know behind the scene's frustrations...

With the exception of some Ground breaking new tech. If everone JUST searched and read old stuff, Nobody would ever post and then it'd be boring as chit!!

End Rant!!!

My suggestion was far from any concern of bandwidth. Since he made this thread how much usefully cam info has he received? In those same hours since he posted this he could of educated himself enough to answer the question he posted. With an hour of reading he could of atleast gained enough knowledge to know that for the money, a cam would not be the most beneficial to him at the current level his truck is in terms of money and hp. Not to "bash" either, I just think searching would have helped him in many different ways and would save everyone else the daily cam, what hp am I, and best turbo questions. I fully support someone to want to engage in cam convo and new info regarding them but in my opinion someone should bring more to the table like more specific questions after the common knowledge has been learned. Help yourself before you ask someone else for help.

End Rant!!!
^ Brownie points twards the deal we been trying to work out?LOL.
But thankyou....I wonder what it takes to keep threads on topic on CompD.?:lolly:
We will always have the big swole carnage thread to read!

I hope i never have that bad of luck!! lol