Which clutch to buy?

dodge.01grizzly

I've searched a lot on this forum and others, but I cant find apples to apples opinions, so here it is.

My truck is an 07 Mega with the 5.9 common rail. I am doing an auto to manual swap, so I have a G56 transmission from a 6.7 common rail. I don't know if that would make a difference though. It has a 5" lift in the front with 2" blocks in the back with 35x12.50 tires. It has 60hp industrial injection injectors, cold air intake, 4" exhaust, and efi live tuning by Fleece performance. I will not race or sled pull with it but pull 10k-15k on a regular basis in the summer time going to truck and tractor pulls.

I am looking at either the South Bend SDD3250-GK, SDD3250-GK-ORG or Valair QG56DDSN-ORG

SDD3250-GK, good for 650hp, 1300tq, button style one organic, one feramic
SDD3250-GK-ORG, good for 550hp, 1100tq, button style 2 organics

QG56DDSN-ORG, good for 550hp, tq?, Not sintered iron, but 2 solid style organic faces.

Called Kenny's as well, but he doesnt strap his floater so I am hoping these others will help with the noise some.

What's your guy's thoughts? It's not my daily driver but I do tow a lot with it.

Only one option in my opinion and that’s a valair organic street dual disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And that's what I was stuck on until I read into South Bend's clutches a little more. I have had their 4200 iron giant for the past 10 years now (rebuilt by kenny's once) in my pulling truck and have had great luck with it. Never owned a Valair clutch so I can't say anything about theirs.

I've sold Both and both sides are happy with their choices.

Both have great customer service and quality products.

This post is absolutely no help.

Call both companies, which ever gives you the warm fuzzy feeling is the one to go with.

Well I appreciate the info. Would any of you have an idea where i would be at HP and Torque wise? Would the 550hp clutch be enough with the efi live, 60hp injectors, CAI, and Exhaust with having bigger tires and being a mega cab?

Well I appreciate the info. Would any of you have an idea where i would be at HP and Torque wise? Would the 550hp clutch be enough with the efi live, 60hp injectors, CAI, and Exhaust with having bigger tires and being a mega cab?

A 550hp rating on a Dual disc is a ballpark...many people have put much more through them...but a street clutch is NOT for pulling or slipping...

Chris

Alright. I will not be pulling or racing it for sure, but have a seperate pulling truck and tractor that will need to be backed around the pits at times, so some slipping might happen there, shouldn't be much. Also have a 35ft camper that needs a smooth roll to get it on pads or whatever to get it level. I plan to engage the 4LO to help with that though.

I have the SB dd full organic. Very little noise and holds well. I have stock turbo and injectors. Efi live from anarchy.

I've sold Both and both sides are happy with their choices.

Both have great customer service and quality products.

This post is absolutely no help.

Call both companies, which ever gives you the warm fuzzy feeling is the one to go with.

Best post here.

I like Valair. I give Dan tacos, Dan gives me beer. Beer makes me feel fuzzy.

I've searched a lot on this forum and others, but I cant find apples to apples opinions, so here it is.

My truck is an 07 Mega with the 5.9 common rail. I am doing an auto to manual swap, so I have a G56 transmission from a 6.7 common rail. I don't know if that would make a difference though. It has a 5" lift in the front with 2" blocks in the back with 35x12.50 tires. It has 60hp industrial injection injectors, cold air intake, 4" exhaust, and efi live tuning by Fleece performance. I will not race or sled pull with it but pull 10k-15k on a regular basis in the summer time going to truck and tractor pulls.

I am looking at either the South Bend SDD3250-GK, SDD3250-GK-ORG or Valair QG56DDSN-ORG

SDD3250-GK, good for 650hp, 1300tq, button style one organic, one feramic
SDD3250-GK-ORG, good for 550hp, 1100tq, button style 2 organics

QG56DDSN-ORG, good for 550hp, tq?, Not sintered iron, but 2 solid style organic faces.

Called Kenny's as well, but he doesnt strap his floater so I am hoping these others will help with the noise some.

What's your guy's thoughts? It's not my daily driver but I do tow a lot with it.

This is the clutch that I run in my truck and she has held on the street over 800 hp to the wheels and over 1300 ft lb and I have had the clutch for 4 years now. No complaints what so ever. I play with it, haul with it, city drive with it, and the noise is not bad at all with the Kevlar buttons on the floating disc. SDD3250-GK, good for 650hp, 1300tq, button style one organic, one feramic

Last edited:
I was thinking about going with the 3250 dd organic . Would I need the upgraded hydraulics or would the stock be alright to use ?

I was thinking about going with the 3250 dd organic . Would I need the upgraded hydraulics or would the stock be alright to use ?

If it’s a g56, I’d get hydraulics no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The truck has a nv5600 , there's a few company's sell the upgraded hydraulics is there one better than the others ?

All upgraded hydraulics are from the same 3rd party manufacturer. I've bought a kit from both South Bend and Valair.

And also, Valair for the win!

my dad is 60 years old and runs a valair dual disc and is going to run the street triple in his 15 its smooth and he drives everywhere with it yet he says it drives like stock , I've run his duals in my older trucks, loved them they never miss a beat, and when you have a issue Dan is right on top of it , he flat out rocks, had a off hours answer from him directly and parts sent out fast that is what matters to me.

Back