which common rail motor

any year, they are all just as good! i would think an 04.5 to 07 5.9l

"If you get an 03-04 CR, the Cummins ECM is mounted on the engine. Basically, supply power to the ECM, and the engine control itself is self contained. You use your Ford gauge sensors and wire them to the Ford PCM and the cluster works fine. All other "body" functions continue to use the existing Ford PCM. The tranny is controlled seperatly with the PCS linked above." --dockboy
but i have to say the 4.5 thru 05 is the better motor 06-07 5.9 the programs are starting to catch up but not all there yet. injector harness changed from 05 to 06 so this limits programmer to 06-06.5 and 06.5-07 is different programming

but what would be involved in putting an 4.5 to 05 motor in then? Also im gonna need some engine contacts so i can find one of these beasts. I would prefer an 05 that way i could keep the truck all the same year.

Thanks, Bart

later the better... I believe pre-05 are more prone to dropping valve seats in high heat apps... maybe pre-600's (04.5), but not sure

I would say an 03 - 04 motor with an 04.5 head (or a least all of the goodies off it). If you build a head, you can put whatever parts you want.

I got an 04.5 to do a swap with and so far everything is working out. I've heard that the APPS sensor was on the engine or the top of the fuel pedal but the truck I got the engine out of had it mounted under the battery tray. my ecm is mounted on the engine and other than the SKIM issue it has been exactly what i needed. And forget about using the 5r110 behind the common rail, any honest trans shop will tell you there is no way it will survive.

well i got a built trans so i'm not to worried about. any leads on an 04.5 to 05 engine that is either new or low mileage?

thanks, BART

Either Autoworld or destroke can help you with the install. If you have a torque **** trans they told me a 2006 motor wont work, yet.

not that Ive been calling them this week

torque skips don't live behind a moderate 6.0, they flat out have no chance behind a common rail built up. Trust me if I thought there was any chance that my fully built suncoast would live, I would not be dropping the change for a built 4r100 and pcs controller.

do you happen to know why the 06 motor won't work with the torqueshift?
I thought the tranny is run by a seperate controller??

thanks,Bart

chrleb1 said:
I would say an 03 - 04 motor with an 04.5 head (or a least all of the goodies off it). If you build a head, you can put whatever parts you want.
Can you explain more please. What are the "goodies"?

DWitcher said:
Can you explain more please. What are the "goodies"?

i think he was talking about the valve guides, seals, and valves them selves. they are made of a better material than the 03-04 engine and can withstand more temperature.

Back