which generation duramax is the best/ most dependable??

steveo24

I didn't know quite where to put this thread as I know nothing about the years of duramaxes, but here goes. A real good friend of mine is looking to buy a used duramax truck. I told him I would ask around and see what year(s) would possibly be the best/ most dependable for him. I have heard about injector problems in the earlier year trucks. Also if anyone could outline what years for which model duramax engine (LMM, LBZ etc etc) Thanks in advance

01-04 = LB7 are the ones with the most Inj issues, otherwise pretty reliable

04.5-05 = LLY are the ones that some have had overheating issues while towing but I don't personally know of any that do. Their Inj are much better with just an occassional bad one. Nice reliability IMO.

06-07 LBZ and IMO these or LMM are best. At elevated HP there have been piston problems maybe moreso than the older lb7 n lly.

07.5-current = LMM and these or LBZ are the best yet IMO. They rarely have Inj issues, have good turbos, etc. Just nice trucks. One caviot to these LMMs have the dpf but they can be removed relatively easy through some tuning n exhaust upgrades.

Overall, I think the engine n trans longevity is good with any of them. Other common issues for all of them are front wheel
Hubs/bearings don't last real long, tierods are weak, transfer case may eat itself (search pump rub and you'll see what I mean but ive recently read this might been addressed on lmm trucks). The water pumps usually make it 100k then might go out on ya.

Overall though, IMO, these are pretty reliable trucks with good maintenance and keeping a good eye on em.

Cya

01-04 = LB7 are the ones with the most Inj issues, otherwise pretty reliable

04.5-05 = LLY are the ones that some have had overheating issues while towing but I don't personally know of any that do. Their Inj are much better with just an occassional bad one. Nice reliability IMO.

06-07 LBZ and IMO these or LMM are best. At elevated HP there have been piston problems maybe moreso than the older lb7 n lly.

07.5-current = LMM and these or LBZ are the best yet IMO. They rarely have Inj issues, have good turbos, etc. Just nice trucks. One caviot to these LMMs have the dpf but they can be removed relatively easy through some tuning n exhaust upgrades.

Overall, I think the engine n trans longevity is good with any of them. Other common issues for all of them are front wheel
Hubs/bearings don't last real long, tierods are weak, transfer case may eat itself (search pump rub and you'll see what I mean but ive recently read this might been addressed on lmm trucks). The water pumps usually make it 100k then might go out on ya.

Overall though, IMO, these are pretty reliable trucks with good maintenance and keeping a good eye on em.

Cya

Pretty much agree with all of this, LB7's have injector issues, most all are now too old to get replaced under warranty, make sure to get a VIN ck on anything he buys and if it's a LB7 try and get one who has had the injectors changed recently. Also Lb7's use injector cups which can lift and act like a blown head gasket. For my money it would be a LBZ if it were going to be my daily driver. I'm not crazy about the body styling of the LMM and the DPF really kills the fuel economy unless you do the delete, and you are in violation of federal statues if you do if that bothers you. It doesn't me but who know what this administration might want to focus on to enforce.

LLY or LBZ for me. I agree with mitch. LMM's are great too but I'm partial to my bodystyle

Not much left to add but if I was to buy another I'd look for anything 2004.5 and newer at the best value I could find. One thing though the difference between a 2004.5 and 2004 is the 8th vin digit. If its a 2 its a 2004.5 which means LLY.