Which KDP kit?

z79outlaw

Just wondering which kit you guys have gone with? the ones with RTV sealant or the ones with the gaskets theres about a $25-50 price difference with the gasket ones being more expensive, just got my motor on Saturday and figured this would be the first thing I do and It'll easier now that I havent put it in the truck yet.

If you got some sealer you know is good then I would jus buy the cheaper one. If not then i'd get the one with the gasket. I've used the gray ford sealer or john deere halomar. Either one is good stuff. I didn't catch mine till it busted the cover and it got the gaskets while it was a part. Jus my 2 cents worth.

You don't need a kit. Go to a Cummins dealer (you'll need your engine serial #) and order a new front seal (about $28). Get a tube of sealer. Grind a piece of metal to cover the pin and drill a hole to fit under the bolt. Take the factory bolt to your local hardware store and buy one with matching treads (metric) but is about the 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch longer. Tap the pin back in. put red locktight on the bolt and tighten to 18 ft/lbs. Install the cover with the new seal in it and sealer on the flange. Put red locktight on the cover bolts and torque to 18 ft/lbs. Done. You can go to TST products online and get their directions for how to do it with their stuff, but use your own stuff also..

You don't need a kit. Go to a Cummins dealer (you'll need your engine serial #) and order a new front seal (about $28). Get a tube of sealer. Grind a piece of metal to cover the pin and drill a hole to fit under the bolt. Take the factory bolt to your local hardware store and buy one with matching treads (metric) but is about the 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch longer. Tap the pin back in. put red locktight on the bolt and tighten to 18 ft/lbs. Install the cover with the new seal in it and sealer on the flange. Put red locktight on the cover bolts and torque to 18 ft/lbs. Done. You can go to TST products online and get their directions for how to do it with their stuff, but use your own stuff also..

What he said!! Didnt know people even bought a kit for that. Definately save your money and just get you a seal and do it how he explained.

I never even thought about going that route, I just figured it'd be cheaper as a kit, but low and behlod I just checked and there is a cummins dealer 14 miles away I'll have to check that out after work on friday then. Thanks