White smoke/ rough idle on cold start

ryan5455

Just like the title says I've got white smoke and a rough idle on the initial cold start. I assumed it was an injector issue so I sent them to exergy. This was the response from them:
"These injectors tested pretty well. They do have some slight early end of injection issues as well as some slight metal debris internally."
They also recommended I have then cleaned and balanced. So that's in the works. But to get to my point, could there be another cause of the raw fuel and rough idle?
Thanks

Would a compression test be enough to find it?

I have the same issue and have been living with it for quite a few miles. Got new injector and it started again. Run injector cleaner and it goes away then comes back.

I'm confused because it runs like a top after those first few seconds. And I unscrewed the oil full cap and didn't have much blow by. Didn't even wiggle the cap. I think I'll just go buy a compression tester and go from there. Exergy also said they found metal fragments in a few injectors.

Yup sounds exactly like me, no blow by here either. So maybe the metal in the injectors is coming from the fuel system and making injectors stick?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's what I'm hoping. And also what exergy said. They said maybe hey we're stuck while in the truck but between getting them out of the truck and shipping they could have passed the metal through. Next thing I need to do is figure out where it came from

Let us know! Also just for my info how many miles are on the injectors/cp3? Mine started after 200k miles and I'm up to 230k with it still

I just bought the truck with 277k. As far as I know stock cp3. I have a receipt for the injectors from 2012 and the previous owner thought about 40k on them. No lift pump and stock filter housing as well, which could be part of the problem

Since you've got the injectors out, take a borescope to it and look at the piston bowls and cylinder walls. Those trucks love to crack rings and gouge up cylinder walls.

Usually it's not too bad and you can rebuild them.

I'm in the process. I've got a scope that I use at work (plumber) but it's got an 8mm head on it and it doesn't fit. I'm hoping nothing is too bad. Once I saw the white smoke I parked it.

Since all the items to check have been mentioned, I'm just going to comment and say ditto to everything. In for post count!

I've had that happen before. Sometimes with different tuners there is white smoke and a rough idle at start up. Other tuners it starts flawless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup sounds exactly like me, no blow by here either. So maybe the metal in the injectors is coming from the fuel system and making injectors stick?

Arin,

I adjusted pilot timing from 10 - 13 and the white smoke goes away.
Try it and let me know, has more of a 12v rattle then the other timing but the white smoke is gone.

Well after testing and having low compression on three cylinders and one melted piston, it's time for a rebuild. Hope you have better luck than I did arinkuddy.

Probably 277k hard miles. I guess it will be nice to throw a fresh engine in there and hopefully be good to go for another 277k. I'm going to throw some 12 valve rods in and costed Pistons for sure. Then see how much money I have left to play with.

Back