whos runnin a stock cam

Do a search bud, you'll find your answers

next time be more specific and give a little info on what your trying to figure out.

I can tell you this cams have been taken out if motors and cams have been installed in motors.

Some are running stockers, some are running aftermarket. Its your choice. I do suggets a billet gear retainer though.

Put in a cam at the same time, since it has to come out anyway. I left the stocker in when I did the conversion, 2.5 years later I put in a new cam. Cam's are a lot cheaper now than they were then, though.

Im running stock cam with the gear tack welded on.

Bad for your cam, bad for your cam gear/cracking/ coming apart etc.

Not to mention cam gears aren't too cheap, and won't be able to be re used neither will cam when u decide to change

If you do a straight weld they can not be reused. If you tack it on, a little grinding will work to separate them. If you weld the gear on, it can change the cast metals grain structure and make it more prone to cracking. Tacking is fine but not the best option due to potential welds flaking and potential oil contamination. Gear retainers are about $50 so it is a cheap and better way to go way to go, but not the end all. I appreciate people making stuff work out in the shop. You can't be little girl. Not everything can be "ideal". If it works and it is all you had at that moment then it was the best option....at the time. Git er done.

Zach

Im running stock cam with the gear tack welded on.

Get a retainer for your cam, do not weld or tack weld your gear on

:hehe:

Newengine048.jpg

I tig welded mine on about 5 years ago without issue but I didn't use any rod and held fine, having said that the retainers that are available are too nice not to use, don't skimp here....cheap insurance.

Jim

Is it haisley that sells the retainers? Getting ready to p-pump another truck and he's got a stock cam.

Haisley makes them but you can buy them almost anywhere now. I bought mine from Garrett at PureDieselPower

Mines not a solid weld its tacked in two places 180deg from eachother. I could easily grind and reuse both the cam and gear.

Where is the best place to buy a Retainer??? Can it be installed with the cam in the truck or does it need to come out?

Mines not a solid weld its tacked in two places 180deg from eachother. I could easily grind and reuse both the cam and gear.

Where is the best place to buy a Retainer??? Can it be installed with the cam in the truck or does it need to come out?

I'd take it out, drill and tap it in the lathe.
$.02