Why liquid cool a turbo???

Extended Power

I don't get it......

Everyone says that it takes HEAT to build the boost and to get the turbo working...

So why do some manufacturers use coolant to cool the turbo's exhaust housing?

Why would you want to put this on a 6.0L when it seems to me like it would have the same effect as an EGR cooler....WAY too hot for the coolant, coolant would flash off...blow coolant everywhere...

They don;t cool the exhaust housing they cool the oil/center section.....There are a couple of places that the oil picks up extream amounts of temp one is the turbo ie: 1200 degree exhaust temps and the bottom of the pistons.

Normally the oil temp is much higher than the coolant temp.

The 6.oh no is one top engineered piece

The center section is water-cooled in order to cool turbo center section (bearing) oil temps, in addition to reduce the amount of oil 'coking'

Marine application turbochargers are the only ones I know of that have a cooled exhaust housing. All automobile applications only have a cooled bearing housing.

They don;t cool the exhaust housing they cool the oil/center section.....There are a couple of places that the oil picks up extream amounts of temp one is the turbo ie: 1200 degree exhaust temps and the bottom of the pistons.

Normally the oil temp is much higher than the coolant temp.

The 6.oh no is one top engineered piece

The oil feeding the turbo comes straight out of the oil cooler. It is within 15 degrees (usually 4 to 8) of coolant temperatures. So, they are basically the same temp.

In our opinion, we try to avoid adding any heat to the coolant system. So, we use BorgWarner turbochargers. The Garrett stuff works well, but you are right, you add heat to the coolant.

As mentioned above, it helps extend the life of the bearings (because journal bearing will only last the life of the motor) and it helps prevent the oil from cooking when the truck it turned off before the temps drop down. If you let the truck idle down for a few minutes, the journal bearings will work just fine for the life of the motor.

i thought using a full synthetic would prevent coking in the turbo?

Synthetics help, but when you turbo has been seeing 1,000 degrees for an extended period of time, everything gets pretty hot. The truck really needs to cool down a little before it is shut off.

Water cooled helps reduce the amount of time needed before turning the truck off. I don't know exactly how much, but it does make a difference.

I have seen stock fuel trucks have 15-20 degree difference in oil to coolant temp, I would think that it would get worse at egt's get out of hand....

IKE

Synthetics help, but when you turbo has been seeing 1,000 degrees for an extended period of time, everything gets pretty hot. The truck really needs to cool down a little before it is shut off.

Water cooled helps reduce the amount of time needed before turning the truck off. I don't know exactly how much, but it does make a difference.

Exactly, subaru uses these turbos as well, that's why I never recommend them to get a turbo timer. DMax's use them to, and they use VGT as well.

Back