will a 2000 ecm work in a 1999?

ME.

master bus boy
I have a 1999 6 speed truck that needs a ecm. I found one out of a 2000 5 speed truck. Does anyone know if the 2000 ecm will work on my 99? Thanks for the help.

p/n 3942336
date 6/7/99

p/n 3946242
date 8/31/99

Last edited:
probably will. If you have a smarty programmer you can talk to bob about getting the ECM recovery flash for your specific vin number to get the factory programming for your specific truck flashed into the ecm.

Probably will. You might have to get the VIN reflashed in it to match the ABS module if you have a CEL that won't go off. $.02

Some have argued this is not true....but it happened in my truck so that is my advice.

If flashed I would tend to agree but just swapping one to another the chances of it working completely correct are rather slim. There is roughly 40-50 different softwares per year created for these truck and all just a bit different from each other and how they interact with other devices (PCM, ABS, Central Timer, Air Bags, instrument cluster, etc.)

I would suggest getting it flashed and not worrying about it.

Depending on what dealership you have flash it, you'll probably hear the "us dealers can only reflash NEW ECM's so you have to buy one from us" line of bull crap. Get ready.

if it helps any: my truck thought it was a 99 automatic for about a year because my smarty was apparently vin locked when I bought it and I un-vin locked it with smoke and mirrors and it changed the programming in my ECM to be the programming from a 99 auto...made me lose my anti-stall, but other than that, no CEL and it ran fine.

drove it like that for a year before I got in contact with bob, gave him my vin # and he compiled and sent me a recovery flash to load into my smarty so I could completely reprogram my ECM with the proper factory programming for my specific vin number. my anti-stall came back after that and truck seemed to drive a little stronger.

so worst case, you might lose anti-stall, but I think it will be okay until you get it reflashed.

Thanks for all the info. I will go ahead and get it and see how it does.