will anything help????

CmRhoades1

I have a 96 with a 5 speed that I hope would be right in the 400Hp range on the dyno. I have had alot of tranny problems since I put a clutch in it and put the power through the tranny. First I had a con fe from peter at southbend and broke 2 input shafts. After that I had peter send me a 3600 dd with his inch and three eighths shaft and tried that. Loved the new clutch and had no problems till I broke a countershaft right behind 5th gear. Got that all taken care of with a 1 piece countershaft. Put the sps 62/14 that I aquired and then broke 9 teeth off of the upper 5th gear gettin on the interstate. Got some gears from a buddy and put it all back together again. So far no problems but i dont like the fact that I am told that I really can get into it in 5th without probably breaking it again. Just wondering if anybody has the updated mainshaft from Quad 4x4 where the shaft is splined all the way through 5th gear and if this will allow higher hp trucks to fully use 5th gear???

I have a 96 with a 5 speed that I hope would be right in the 400Hp range on the dyno. I have had alot of tranny problems since I put a clutch in it and put the power through the tranny. First I had a con fe from peter at southbend and broke 2 input shafts. After that I had peter send me a 3600 dd with his inch and three eighths shaft and tried that. Loved the new clutch and had no problems till I broke a countershaft right behind 5th gear. Got that all taken care of with a 1 piece countershaft. Put the sps 62/14 that I aquired and then broke 9 teeth off of the upper 5th gear gettin on the interstate. Got some gears from a buddy and put it all back together again. So far no problems but i dont like the fact that I am told that I really can get into it in 5th without probably breaking it again. Just wondering if anybody has the updated mainshaft from Quad 4x4 where the shaft is splined all the way through 5th gear and if this will allow higher hp trucks to fully use 5th gear???

i have the upgraded main shaft in mine and the stock input shaft. when i talked to the guy that built my trans told me it would hold whatever i wanted to put to it. i have yet to test that but i dont know if an upgraded main shaft will help your gear situation if its breaking the gear and not stripping the splines off unless your 5th gear is breaking because of the nut backing off and the gear is slipping???:poke:

the bearings are new and so are most of the sychronizers i know what im doing when it comes to it i just want to know if the fully splined mainshaft will work and if that wont when does the truck theoryreticly stop building torque and just build horspower? it will handle horsepower its torque that destroys things.

p.s. im told the reason they break 5th is if the shaft isnt splined all the way through if you look at the gear the splines arent even of the part tof the gear where it matters so im told it twists the gear in essence which with harded steel isnt good... brittle!