Will not Start! 04 F-450

CumminNotRunnin

Internet Mechanic
Thanks to all that have input proir. I searched this topic but there seems to be so many different reasons and I thought I would post this problem to get a specific answer to it.

It is a 2004 F-450 with about 280,000 on the truck. The gentlemen has a no start issue. When cranking the truck has no attempt at all to start. In fact looking at the tailpipe it does not produce any smoke as if it is not getting any fuel. I also do not know alot about the powerstrokes yet but I would like to learn something about them. Apparently the customer had a NEW FICM in it and that fixed the problem for alittle bit. My question is there a common problem that makes these not start.

Soon as you give it a small snort of either the engine will start right up. And if you let it run for 15 seconds and shut it off and go to start it again it will fire back up. It does have a hell of an injector miss and skip on start up and when it is warm but I dont think its directly related to it not starting. So is this this possibly a high pressure oil pump issue or is it something on the fuel side not oil side.

Thanks again from any one with input. No codes as of this point. Im lost and no to knowledgable with powerstrokes yet. Thanks Jake

I would take a good look at the high pressure oil system. Bad pump or a leak is not allowing it to produce enough oil pressure to fire the engine. The either allows the rpm's to come up enough to overcome it and keep the truck running.

High pressure oil is at about 1600psi while cranking. But it instantly dropped off when done cranking. Is it suppose to hold the high pressure oil supply? Also As for the FICM control it is signaled as No communication until the engine is actually running? This is through a snap scanner. No ford tools.

Mine done the same thing but it would start on ether and run like crap. It ended being a o-ring on the high pressure oil rail blown out.