Will this crank work?

Black Diesel

I really didn't know where to post this so if it is wrong please feel free to move it to where it belongs. I bought a 5.9 crank for a good price to go into my 6.7 block to build a long rod 6.4. This crank has a helical gear so obviously it will need pulled in place of a CR gear but it has a speed indicator ring on it near the thrust bearing main journal. Is has screws that hold this attached so it can come off. My question is will this work in a CR block and if it won't, would it be a bad idea to run it without the indicator ring? Would it affect balance or anything? I'm gonna work on posting a pic of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
Cummins makes a wear sleeve to go over the damaged portion and the seal rides on it. So yes I would run it.

Cummins makes a wear sleeve to go over the damaged portion and the seal rides on it. So yes I would run it.

I am asking if that speed indicator ring mounted to the crank will have any effect in running it in a 6.7 common rail block. If I can't would it be ok to just take it off and have the crank rebalanced without it?

You can take them off with no issues. If you leave them on you need to locktite the screws that hold it on. I've seen them come out in stock trucks

You can take them off with no issues. If you leave them on you need to locktite the screws that hold it on. I've seen them come out in stock trucks

Thank you. I will just remove it for the peace of mind. Any suggestions as to what kind of puller would be sufficient enough to remove the gear on the nose?

Maybe I will see if the machine shop can remove the helical gear for me. How detrimental is the alignment dowel on the CR cranks? This does not have provisions for one in the nose. If need be I can also have it drilled and one inserted if it is needed I guess?

Maybe I will see if the machine shop can remove the helical gear for me. How detrimental is the alignment dowel on the CR cranks? This does not have provisions for one in the nose. If need be I can also have it drilled and one inserted if it is needed I guess?
The dowel aligns the tone ring to the crank on the CR engines.
I believe you can run without the dowel, but the hole MUST be aligned UP, in relation to the number 1 rod journal, or the engine will not run, or will run badly.

Mark.

The tone ring is from 24valves only right? Are there off road apps that still have it?

The one on the main journal is 98.5 through 2000 on Dodges.

Mark.

My 01 has it. Its a late 01
It shouldn't.
Some late 2000s had either version, but never seen anything in a Dodge later than 2000 with the crank sensor.

Probably someone swapped in an earlier engine.

Mark.

It shouldn't.
Some late 2000s had either version, but never seen anything in a Dodge later than 2000 with the crank sensor.

Probably someone swapped in an earlier engine.

Mark.

Yea your right. Mine only has the cam sensor. I was thinking it only had the crank but its the other way around

As long as taking it off won't affect any balance of it, I'll run it as is. Suggestions on how to remove the timing gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planned to use heat but I was leaning more toward means of actually removing it. Standard 3 jaw puller? I don't know if a press could be used? Never attempted it before and just looking for the way you guys have found it easiest. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a bearing splitter would work better than a 3 jaw puller, less likely to point load a few teeth and chip/break them.