won't start after rebuild

GOLDDUSTERS5703

ok im about to pull my hair out!... pulled running motor from truck because timing cover broke. ended up doing full rebuild of head, and motor. let reputable machine shop assemble short block. they installed helix 2, cr tappets, and timing cover if that matters. new rings and bearings. all clearences checked and within spec. they also decked the block. they surfaced the head, rebuilt it, and added intake valves all the way across. the head was fire ringed by joe hellman(thanks for everything!) then installed by me. btw this was a 180hp pump motor. i bought a 215pump supposedly from a running truck and had the barrels maxed, balanced and flowed by a local shop (flow was around 530cc iirc). got the pump back went to take the dvs out and found all six springs to be broken. called pump shop they said replace and install(mind u 99.9% of the stuff they do is factory rebuilds but they are have been in business for a while). i pinned the pump and pinned the motor. to be sure of tdc i took #1 injector out installed the dial indicator measured when piston stoped rising and when piston started falling found the distance between these 2 points and that is what i called tdc. now set the timing to 21 degrees. truck wont start so i verify fuel pressure with guage and even tried stretching the overflow valve to make sure there was plenty of pressure. with injectors cracked and motor spinning over it sprays a couple of feet in the air. hookoed up and injector to a fuel line and spun motor over with injector outside of truck and fuel does spray. tried giving it a snort of gasoline to bust her off and it does start but only for a second or 2. also tried timing at 5 degrees, 13.5 degrees, 21 degrees and 37 degrees still nothing. spoke to joe several times before the multiple timing adjustments he believed it is the pump. i believe him but before i change the pump is there anything else i can try? i feel i have wore out joe with telephone calls. please help

Just throwing this out there... I know you made sure that the thing was at #1 TDC for timing the pump, but is its TDC on a compression stroke? If not your timing is 180* out and it definitely wont fire when fueled by the injection pump and would explain why it fired with the fuel being poured into the intake!

run it on silicon spray and see if it catches up...had the same problem trying to get my truck primed again...took the lift pump off to pull cam to change the front cover. I also bump my timing (18 degrees) and it wouldnt start....pulled my hair out for awhile then fired right up with silicone spray bleed them at the injectors and been fine since...

I know this is stupid...but have you checked the fuel shutoff solonoid ?

Will also try the silicone spray. Solenoid is in the up/run position when cranking. Only smoke is when I bottle feed it gas, otherwise only on the end of a 10 second cranking period will I smell fuel. Thanks again

ithink ykdave hit it on the head. if you have fuel spraying from nozzle it should fire. do the same procedure as before with #1 valve cover off and follow you rocker arm travel to verify compression stroke. good luck!

mad max lives!!!!! ykdave was right on!!!! she fired right up!!! thank u sooooooo much i was ready to burn the truck!!!!!!

Haha, right on, go bag the crap outta it now!!!!

Cant say that i havent done the same thing before on gasser builds. but they are a little easier to swap the distributor around!

Back