World Ag Expo / West Coast Nationls

Any drag/dyno this year?

Ill call my cousin who manages the shop where the dyno was last time.

Only one class (Modified) you have to print the form and send it in with your membership fee. I believe there caping it at 10 trucks as well, this is full show and I am glad that Donnie has made some time for us.

RULES

BBD

They have alowed diesels for a few years now, I remember a few years back a guy came from Utah with a detroit diesel, normally it's just 1-2 local trucks that show up.

They have alowed diesels for a few years now, I remember a few years back a guy came from Utah with a detroit diesel, normally it's just 1-2 local trucks that show up.

Correct, I saw Albert Mendez was there last year, they never really advertised it before but now they are and have rules. I pulled with the detroit guy's at a pull in Elko, NV in 2007 good bunch of guy's.

Hoping my stuff gets here in time, Hoping Terry Thain can make out as well. Anybody know if Tom got his Rockwell in yet? that would be another good one to help represent.

BBD

Different event, your thinking of the Borg-Warner sponsored event.

I haven't heard anything about that

BBD

Ya i thought they combined them last time. The dyno was at Roger Vatts in Visalia on Friday and the pulls were on sat at the Ag Expo.

Wasn't that the first time you used the hand throttle on BBD?

Ya i thought they combined them last time. The dyno was at Roger Vatts in Visalia on Friday and the pulls were on sat at the Ag Expo.

Wasn't that the first time you used the hand throttle on BBD?

It was at the Ag Expo grounds, but totally different date and event.

wow. those rules are geared more towards you scott. Guys with regular trucks don't usually have shields around the dampner, and full SFI fire suits/shoes.

Yeah the rules unfortunately make it a joke for most of us to even try to compete. I'm not knocking the event as I'd love to go but come one guys. Unless the rules are all for show and won't be applied I can only think of one truck in CA (that isn't in pieces) that will be able to meet them.

Engine Shielding:
A ¼” steel plate or 3/8” aluminum plate shield across the frame under the front of the motor shielding the damper and engine fan area is required. . Side shields are recommended to run the length of the block covering the block from head to pan. The frame rails may be used as part of this shield.

Fuel Shutoff:
All trucks must be equipped with a driver-operated fuel shutoff capable of blocking fuel flow to the injection pump. A three way dump valve is recommended

Master Cutoff:
A sled- and driver-operated spring-loaded emergency air shut off is mandatory. The cable must terminate into a two inch diameter steel ring.

Protective Clothing:

Drivers must wear a jacket and pants or one piece suit meeting SFI specification 3.2A/5 or 3.2A/15, gloves meeting SFI specification 3.3/15, and shoes or boots meeting SFI specification 3.3/5. Protective clothing exceeding these specifications is permitted. The protective clothing must be labeled with the proper SFI specification.

Transmission, Automatic:

All vehicles must be equipped with a transmission shield meeting SFI Spec 4.1 and must be labeled accordingly. A blanket-type shield is permitted; it must be appropriately labeled as meeting SFI Spec 4.1 and it must extend from the rear of the block to the front of tail-housing with a minimum six inch overlap where it is fastened. All non-blanket-type shields must incorporate two (or one, per manufacturer’s instructions) 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch straps that bolt to the shield on each side and pass under the transmission pan unless the transmission pan is labeled as meeting SFI Spec 4.1. All vehicles
must be equipped with a flex plate meeting SFI Spec 29.1 and be covered by a flex plate shield meeting SFI Spec 30.1. If SFI rated flex plates aren’t available then a blanket shield is permissible per above specifications.

wow. those rules are geared more towards you scott. Guys with regular trucks don't usually have shields around the dampner, and full SFI fire suits/shoes.

Correct, those are the rules for the modified diesel class, same rules I have been runing with for years here in CA.

My damper shield is a little above and beyound what is actuilly required all you need acording to those rules is "A ¼” steel plate or 3/8” aluminum plate shield across the frame under the front of the motor" it doesn't have to be thicker and wrapped all the way around the damper like mine does.

These rules do need to be updated though, you can see were your not even reqired to have an SFI damper, even more reason to have the shielding.

BBD

Yeah the rules unfortunately make it a joke for most of us to even try to compete. I'm not knocking the event as I'd love to go but come one guys. Unless the rules are all for show and won't be applied I can only think of one truck in CA (that isn't in pieces) that will be able to meet them.

Engine Shielding:
A ¼” steel plate or 3/8” aluminum plate shield across the frame under the front of the motor shielding the damper and engine fan area is required. . Side shields are recommended to run the length of the block covering the block from head to pan. The frame rails may be used as part of this shield.

Fuel Shutoff:
All trucks must be equipped with a driver-operated fuel shutoff capable of blocking fuel flow to the injection pump. A three way dump valve is recommended

Master Cutoff:
A sled- and driver-operated spring-loaded emergency air shut off is mandatory. The cable must terminate into a two inch diameter steel ring.

Protective Clothing:

Drivers must wear a jacket and pants or one piece suit meeting SFI specification 3.2A/5 or 3.2A/15, gloves meeting SFI specification 3.3/15, and shoes or boots meeting SFI specification 3.3/5. Protective clothing exceeding these specifications is permitted. The protective clothing must be labeled with the proper SFI specification.

Transmission, Automatic:

All vehicles must be equipped with a transmission shield meeting SFI Spec 4.1 and must be labeled accordingly. A blanket-type shield is permitted; it must be appropriately labeled as meeting SFI Spec 4.1 and it must extend from the rear of the block to the front of tail-housing with a minimum six inch overlap where it is fastened. All non-blanket-type shields must incorporate two (or one, per manufacturer’s instructions) 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch straps that bolt to the shield on each side and pass under the transmission pan unless the transmission pan is labeled as meeting SFI Spec 4.1. All vehicles
must be equipped with a flex plate meeting SFI Spec 29.1 and be covered by a flex plate shield meeting SFI Spec 30.1. If SFI rated flex plates aren’t available then a blanket shield is permissible per above specifications.

Again the show is packed and there looking for a FEW MODIFIED trucks. Not 40 or 50 daily drivers. Call it baby steps if you will and perhaps they will allow more in later who knows. All I know is it’s a good thing diesel trucks are allowed in period!!!!

They have been trying to get the Modified diesel trucks in at the National Farm Machinery Show back East and they have yet to be allowed in. I consider us being allowed in here for the West Coast Nationals a good thing and support it weather or not I can attend or not. IT’s GOOD FOR THE SPORT !!!!!!

Nick, as good and as hard as your truck runs you should have all those safety measures in place.

BBD

Thank goodness that they have all tha safety rules there, I'd hate to see what happens if a lot of trucks ran on the street with out all of that safety stuff. O wait there are .

Running on the street is alot different than running 10-15ft awat from people, hooked to a sled.

Thank goodness that they have all tha safety rules there, I'd hate to see what happens if a lot of trucks ran on the street with out all of that safety stuff. O wait there are .

Your comparing apples to oranges!!!!!totally different.

Modified trucks don't run on the street either, in fact we have some mean Super Street trucks here in Cali that don't even run on the street either!!!!

BBD

Correct, those are the rules for the modified diesel class, same rules I have been runing with for years here in CA.
BBD

Who else has trucks that meet these requirements? Or a better way of wording my question - who do you compete with primarily on the West Coast?

Just scott there is no competition for him over here unless they come from a ways away. I do have to say I enjoy watching his truck pull and the look on new comers faces when they don't expect a crazy good pull like that out of his truck. Anyways if they are going to be running a crazy modified lawn tractor. like the blown minis, i dont think we are the safety issues. Those things are jast as or more dangerous to a person standing near the track than broken parts flying into the crowd. I also said a lot of trucks that run on the street i never said all trucks. Running next to peole while pulling isn't that different from running wide open on the street next to people if parts are gona break they are going to break either way.

Last edited:
Back