WTB: NV4500 Countershaft

Still looking . Need the newer style (97+) countershaft and 3rd gear off the mainshaft.

Location? I have one, don't want to deal with shipping though.

smokinVE, PM sent.

jedeka, 97 up countershafts have helical gear all the way to the bearing surface. The 96 down have a shorter helical gear.

Last edited:
97+

ame]

Pre 97

ame]

Images work in preview. Click header of picture if they don't show up.

Last edited:
Yep, shredded a few off 3rd and countershaft. I bought it as is. Previous owner broke it and just replaced instead of rebuilding.

The long helical gear on the 97+ goes all the way to the rear bearing shoulder and is right at 6" long. The pre 97 helical gear is around 5" and there is a gap between the end of the gear and the rear bearing.

I've had two do this now and was never hard on it, yours is the first other one I have heard of.
Wonder if this is a bad run or something.

This one was out of a 97. I've heard about it happening every once in a while but this is the first one I've seen in person.

Could be something to do with the changes I guess. I haven't had much luck finding a reasonably priced used CS.

The import shafts are pretty cheap and plentiful so I'll probably go that route if I don't find a good used one when I'm ready to throw it back together. We'll see how they hold up. I figure most 4500s rebuilt in the last 7-8 years or longer have import hard parts in them anyway. Seems most fully splined mainshafts are imported too.

Just order a new one, I had to find 3 for some core tranny's I'm rebuilding. I searched long and hard, used ones just aren't out there for the 4500's. I got lucky and a friend at a large jeep store with New Venture connections had a NOS shaft sitting on a shelf for years. That one is going in my personal build, I ended up having to order the other two (one early, one late) from Standard.

I'm not in a hurry to get it back together. I have found a couple used CSs but one was asking more than twice the cost of new and another wanted the same price as new. For the record, CS is only $144 plus shipping.

While I'd of course prefer factory parts, for the same cost, I wasn't sure if a used shaft with unknown history that may have been stressed is really that much better than a new import so I passed. The import mains seem to hold up pretty good and this trans is going behind a mild p-pumped 4bt.