Xmas Bonus=new Turbo

Jcummins

$4/gal. Waa?
Got $1500 bonus and I need a turbo.
Want between 400-500hp
Daily driver not a sled puller or racer
Like what I read and hear about the HTT SS turbos, but size??
Other brands welcome,just try to sell me on something
Don't mind a little lag
Hurry before my wife finds out about this $$$:hehe: :hehe:

take a look at II's ps 62 have one and love it (decent boost, quick spool and reliability)

Are you planning on upgrading Injectors? If not, a 62/12 would be nice...

I had a HTT 62/14 for a while. I liked it, it made good power and was nice to drive with it. With a down pipe it was around 1500. If you wanted to spend a little more the Turbonetics P-trim 66 sure works well. It tows nice, builds a lot of boost and helps lower EGTs. If it were my money I'd pick one of those brands. Both those need a little bigger injector though, I ran a set of 120's with both turbos and it makes a nice combo.

I have a Borg Warner S300G...with a downpipe I paid $1350 builds boost quick and holds 38psi great in the top end. thats with juice and 150hp sticks.

Phat Shaft 62/12 here. Love the turbo. Just wish it was bigger. LOL

Thanks for the response.
Would a 64/13 be to big with just the 60hp sticks for 6 months or so? And what brands make a 64/13? 62 maybe my best choice, I don't know, keep reading all this stuff and changing my mind.
I'm looking into F1 Mach 4's, but I think the turbo needs upgraded first.
Almost emiedietly after posting this thread I took a drive to my brothers and went to pass a car, friggin clutch started slippen.
The clutch saw alot of abuse from the original owner of the truck and now I'm wandering if it's really a confe.
Anyway, I'm still looking for the turbo, just have to wait a few more months.
Whats a good site that gives prices?
Thanks agian and keep the info cummin.

I've always be really happy with bigpowerdiesel.com They've always done right by me. I think HTT makes a 64/13 now. With a manual a set of 60hp sticks should be good to go.

-Rob

64 series is more like a 500-575 turbo for a 24v. For the hp you're talking about I'd be looking at a garrett or a smaller s300 series.

Got any prices or web sites with prices on the garrett or s300, I could just look for it myself, but I'm lazy.
Who makes the s300?
If you haven't noticed I'm a little out of touch with turbos as far who makes what and in what size and even what companys are out there.

Rob,
Why does a manual make a difference?
I drive like an old man, shifting around 2-2200rpms.
Would I need to rap it up a little higher with a big turbo?

Last edited:
The single disk FE clutches don't care for to much abuse, ask me how I know :bang LOL

62/12 from either HTT or II with a slightly larger set of sticks will make for a nice little combo.

Jcummins said:
Rob,
Why does a manual make a difference?
I drive like an old man, shifting around 2-2200rpms.
Would I need to rap it up a little higher with a big turbo?

manual makes a difference because you can pick whatever RPM you want at any load...

shifting at 2000-2200 is hard on your tranny and clutch

a big turbo won't light up till higher in the power band, so yes, you'll need to rev higher.

I see at least 2700 on each shift... usually 3000

Really, 2700-3000!
I'll do it but it'll take some gettin used to.
Think thats what KO'd my clutch?

Should I be worried about blowin a HG?
Maybe think about atleast getting the head re-torqued?
A little out of the clutch loop as well. Which is the 6-speed clutch?
Doesn't it upgrade from a 12'' to a 13''? I have a freshly turned flywheel out of a 6-speed.
I know it's alot of ??'s but I don't want to start another thread if I don't have to.
Thanks.

the lower the RPM you make your power, the higher your torque...

redtruckdyno.jpg

notice the jagged line on this dyno chart when the engine was lugged down and given a lot of fuel? that torque hammers on your driveline components.

if you get a bigger turbo, you'll naturally shift it at a higher RPM

6 speeds have the larger clutches. Unless it is an early 6speed in a ETC(non HO) engine. Then it is the smaller clutch, with the smaller input shaft.

HTBG 13ss. I forgot to mention its 57mm. Spools instantly with my comp on 5x5.

Forrest, something tells me that the 66 might not be as nice around town as my 62. Not to mention it doesn't lend itself to being a nice top turbo in a set of twins on a VP truck. ;)