ZF6 Issue

bprumos

i just bought a 2006 f250 with the zf6 in it. the trans feels quite notchy going into gears and it like to be rev matched for the gears to engage very smooth, otherwise you gotta give it a little pressure to go in. now the trucks only got 65,000m on it and it was quite well maintained also.

i was wondering if this is just normal for these trans or if theres a way to fix it, almost seems like the clutch is dragging but im pretty sure its not, kinda the same symptoms.

i figure a fluid change might help it some but im not sure what to use, i kno ford says mercon atf but im thinking a sythetic gear lube might help smooth it out some so if anyones got any opinons on this issue id appreciate it.

i posted over at psd.org also but i like this site better so im posting here also

How does it go into gear from a stop? Clutch hydraulics could be failing.... When its working right, the ZF6 actually shifts pretty nicely.

if your sitting there, push the cutch in and go for a gear you kind of have to stab at it lightly once or twice for it to click in, sometimes its a little harder to do. but once its in you can take it out and put it back without any problems nice an smooth. maybe my clutch is dragging i know these slaves are known for just kinda going bad

If it is hard to get in gear from a stop, I would take a look at the clutch hydraulics. You can get a pre bled set from Ford for less than $125.

My old zf6 with a valair single in my 7.3 did the same thing, when trying to put it in first (not low) it wouldn like to engage but if you put it in second first then into first it would go in smoothly. With my truck now i have a zf5 and start in second gear with no probs but it has a dual disc.

well i changed the fluid in it yesterday with normal atf and it seams to enjoy it, a lot less notchty going into gears and a litle better when from a stop. the only real issue now is that it hates going into second without being rev matched, like it almost wont go in without giving it some gas and i dont know why, bad syncros maybe? but the truck only has 65000 on it is that really a possibility?

Back