3/4-1ton srw to 450/550. Anyone regret doing it?

Mark13

I'm so much cooler online
I'm looking to replace my 2006 Chevy 2500HD with a dually of some sorts. I was leaning towards going with a 550 so in the future I can hopefully not repeat the process of buying a truck and in 1-2yrs it's to "small" for the work load I depend on it for. I could probably get buy with a properly spec'd out 1ton dually or a 450 but I figured if I was doing it I'd rather do it once and be done vs buying a 1 ton dually and in the near future be wishing I had bought a 450 or larger instead.

It would possibly be my daily driver if I didn't pick up a cheap car or older gas 1/2-3/4 ton as a run around vehicle.
Main purpose would be farm work and towing. Some tag trailers but mostly gooseneck trailers. Down the road I may put one of my snowplows on it and a 4yd salter but for now I'd prefer to keep it off the roads in the winter so it lasts more then 5 yrs before everything is rusty.

I'd be going with a 2005 or newer, ext cab or crew cab and a 9-11' flatbed. XLT/Lariat, either 4.30 or get the payload plus package and 4.88's.

Anyone drive a similar truck and wish they'd have just gotten a 450 or a well set up 1 ton dually instead? No matter what I end up with it'll be a flatbed, a factory dually bed wouldn't make it a year before the inconvenience of the fenders annoyed me to much.

Before this gets way off track. I do realize insurance is more, 19.5's are more then 16 & 17" tires, registration is more,etc I also have my CDL so combined weight of truck/trailer doesn't have to stay under 26k. I'm just looking for thoughts from those who have owned them and thoughts they can share that I haven't thought of in my research.

We just bought a new to us 2011 CC Lariat 3500. She loves it and I have looked it over quite well. It is much more robust then my second gen and I gross 30-32k with my 99 ram. I wouldn't hesitate to get a newer ram. They got a 30k gross rating on em now.

You have a CDL and tow big trailers. Have you considered a pre-emission class 8 tractor? Make it a single rear axle and it will probably last forever.

Back