6.5 starting problem.

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
a friend has a 96 gm truck with the 6.5 diesel. he started having starting issues and when started it would kinda of sputter. it has a new pmd with the relocation kit and replaced the lift pump and then he got it to start and then it sputtered a little bit and then died. he tried to start again and then it wouldnt fire, every so often when cranking it would attempt to fire but wouldnt start. i have him checking to verify that the lift pump he just got is good and to check that he has fuel to the injection pump.

i am curious as to what else could be the issue. maybe something else in the electronics? i had a 94 for a few months but i dont think it has as much electronics as the 96 does. any help is appretiated

thanks

michael

That's not it ya smarta$$ I never had a lick of trouble out of mine til the rings wore out then the loss of power due to that. That's when I did the conversion cause it was cost effective over rebuilding the 6.5.
Its a Chevy...

I would start with the lift pump and palstic plug that goes to it. The plugs tend to get green rott on the wires or even break. My old 96 (before I rolled it) did the same thing and it was only the plug. When I checked it the wires came right out when i touched them.

Checked it and its clean. He got the guy he purchased it from to take it to a shop and get it fixed

It ended up being a cracked fuel line back on the tank letting in air. Must of cracked when changing the lift pump.

Back