dresser roller with a 6bt cummins

ecc_33

Amanda, Ohio
Was tearing the front cover off a 1992 roller yesterday to reseal the cover. Was looking at the cam gear and it was like crooked i guess on the hyd pump gear and the injection pump gear. It was set back on the crank gear. After looking at the cam gear for a minute i was like WOW. The gear is on the verge of exploding. Its cracked so bad I can't believe it never did fly apart. Doesn't look like its ever been off and looks to be a super tight pressed fit. The engine is stock. My question is do i have to pull the cam out of the engine to put a new cam gear on? It looks to me like i will have to. I have to pull the main front cover off due to oil leaks so its not a big deal to pull the cam. I also have to pull the tappet cover off cause its leaking too. I figured pull the push rods and hold the lifters up and pull the cam out would be the easiest way?

As far as pulling the cam you have the right process. I use dowel rods and tapered one end to hold the tappets up. Works very well and I just put a clothes pin on the top to hold the rod up. Don't forget to pull the lift pump as well.

Thanks, So am I right in having to take the cam out of the engine to press the old gear off and the new one on? I would assume I will have to but not 100% sure.

I know guys that have pulled the gear on the motor but I don't know if I'd be real stoked to put a puller on a cracked gear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Finally got to work on the roller today. ended up pullin the cam. I had to re seal the tapped cover anyways and the front cover was leaking also soooo. I ended up zip tieing the tappets up. It worked really good.

Back