Looked at a couple LLY's

Limited

Slow N' Quiet
Only because they were sitting on main street in town, different dealers. Both 2004. Black truck shows 115K but dealer claims unknown mileage due to cluster swap. White truck has 155K. Both stock as far as I can tell. The black one sold on ebay while I was rolling around under it, for $13,500. I may have missed a deal, or a bullet, not sure. White one they are asking $16,900, seems rather high for mileage and rust. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 698.jpg
    698.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • 688.jpg
    688.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • 700.jpg
    700.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 703.jpg
    703.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 707.jpg
    707.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
Black one could have been a deal. The dealer could have read actual mileage from the BCM with a tech2.

White one....not so much. Besides the mileage and age, that rot is going to be expensive to fix.

That black one was a deal IMO, even if it had high miles. They won't get 10G out of the white one with all that cancer.

Since when is 115k high miles? Man I guess my LLY is worn out at 270k?

IIRC, besides the cluster, it was stored there to defeat swapping clusters to change mileage. Was I misinformed?

Whenever we get a new cluster from GM, we have to verify mileage on it before ordering. That's the only thing that made we wonder....

Since when is 115k high miles? Man I guess my LLY is worn out at 270k?

Its not, he said it showed 115k but it probably sold as unknown, therefore you have to assume it was high.

Are you sure about this,Tom?

I know the gas engines store the info in the ECM, but it thought the Duramax stored that info in the cluster itself. So if the cluster is stuck at 115, then that's what the module will read. It's been almost a year since I've worked at a dealer, so I could be wrong.

Whenever we get a new cluster from GM, we have to verify mileage on it before ordering. That's the only thing that made we wonder....
Seriously, if I was wrong, please let me know.

Last edited:
Seriously, if I was wrong, please let me know.

I am not sure. I was under the assumption that the cluster stored it but wasn't confident enough to tell anyone that. When I saw your post I was hoping you knew for a fact and I would finally have an answer, that's all.
When we have a bad cluster in a Gm, all we have to do is call local dealer parts dept and give them the miles off cluster, hours, vin, and the part # on back and they will get us a new one. The core is has to be returned, no options. This is all I have to go on...

I am not sure. I was under the assumption that the cluster stored it but wasn't confident enough to tell anyone that. When I saw your post I was hoping you knew for a fact and I would finally have an answer, that's all.
When we have a bad cluster in a Gm, all we have to do is call local dealer parts dept and give them the miles off cluster, hours, vin, and the part # on back and they will get us a new one. The core is has to be returned, no options. This is all I have to go on...
I went back thru posts over at DP about this and found that I am probably wrong. Ben (duratothemax) was posting that mileage is stored only in the cluster, not in the ECM or BCM. This was backed up by a couple other GM-tech members. While I find it odd that GM didnt have redundancy built into that system for doublechecking to prevent fraud, I trust what Ben says when it comes to these trucks electronics.

Last edited:
I went back thru posts over at DP about this and found that I am probably wrong. Ben (duratothemax) was posting that mileage is stored only in the cluster, not in the ECM or BCM. This was backed up by a couple other GM-tech members. While I find it odd that GM didnt have redundancy built into that system for doublechecking to prevent fraud, I trust what Ben says when it comes to these trucks electronics.

Always was peculiar to me too. Which is why I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. odometer fraud would be pretty simple on a GM.