New Paint... Orange Peel??? *PICS*

Tejas TJ

So I just had the whole passenger side of my truck repainted and body work done up and down the whole side of the truck (lived a previous life as a work truck). If you notice in the first picture it seems you can see reflections better far away than right up on the paint. I don't know if he used cheap paint, didn't apply it right, didn't clear enough or what, but it seems to have that orange peel effect to the paint when you touch it and it's very very dull!

Do you guys think I should let someone who knows what they are doing look at it and possible be able to fix it? Do you think they possible could just wet sand it and polish the paint to bring out that crystal clear shine and glass smoothness?

295766_10150756426250331_604235330_20203368_6097180_n.jpg

296438_10150756427395331_604235330_20203369_41682_n.jpg

294693_10150756427840331_604235330_20203378_5227225_n.jpg

Not going to lie, I can't tell if it has orange peel but I know what your talking about. It happens normally when you shoot the clear coat on. Just color sand where it was painted with some 800 or 1000 grit paper, buff it with some 3M machine compound and then buff with some 3M hand glaze. That should give you that mirror finish you'r looking for.

Not poking fun but look at the pictures yourself. Can you see the texture? Maybe take some more pictures from another angle and try to get it to show up better.

I'm not the best base coat clear coat guy but that is put on way too dry, cool thing is you can 1000 it and re-shoot it or buff it........take it back and make them fix it!

Jim

I'm not the best base coat clear coat guy but that is put on way too dry, cool thing is you can 1000 it and re-shoot it or buff it........take it back and make them fix it!

Jim

Agreed. If didnt turn out right, take it back.

x2 take it back, if you don't know how many coats of clear are on it then don't try wet sanding and buffing u could sand through the clear and into the base coat and the only way to fix that is reshoot it

^ this.... That is beyond dry and can't believe that one made it out the door like that!

you need to make sure there's enought clear coat to color sand (but sometimes the only way to know is if you burn thew, than you know there's not enought),,, it may just be die-back from not enought dry time between coats or to heavy of coats or to fast of hardner or reducer used ,,, could be from the base coat or clear coat ... i would start wil 1500 grit sand paper and finish up with 3000 and foam pad it .. wet sanding is the best even in body prep when ready to refinish the truck .

also make sure they used base clear ,, and not single stage paint , if they used single stage your uv protection is in the top coat .. and if its single stage and it being white its going to be a son of a $$$$$ to buff

Something is not right with that paint, I agree with everyone else take it back and make them fix it. Is that a tape line I see in the third pic just before the back of the cab? To me it does not look like they put any clear on it at all.

I wouldn't be comfortable starting out with an 800 grit not knowing the amount of clear used and seeing the questionable paint job. I would start with a 1500 or 2000 grit then a medium compound with a wool pad then the move to a polish with a foam pad without any silicone or wax so not to seal the new paints pores which can hinder the curing and cause the paint to lift. Some shops are just starting to use waterbased paints and don't seem to have it down yet or maybe they just rushed painting .

Its hard to tell from the pictures. If it was a reputable body shop, I'd say it has enough clear. It looks they used either to much or the wrong reducer which took the shine out of it. This could be fixed by simply sanding/buffing, but it will usually leave a residue. I'd say you are looking at getting it recoated. Take it back! It should have never left like that. If it was reducer, the paint will become brittle and usually crack up over time.

Last edited:
A monkey can paint a car ...... a good wet sander and buffer can make that monkeys paint look show quality. If there is enough material on the car , wet sand it , then buff it and it will look great.

A monkey can paint a car ...... a good wet sander and buffer can make that monkeys paint look show quality. If there is enough material on the car , wet sand it , then buff it and it will look great.

If the OP wanted to wet sand and buff it then I believe he would have just painted the truck himself.

OP you paid for it. Take it back and make them earn that money.

A monkey can paint a car ......

Ha, I beg to differ.
Maybe with a monkey could do a decent job with laquer based paint.

A good painter doesn't need to color sand and buff the clear coat.

Last edited:
Ha, I beg to differ.
Maybe with a monkey could do a decent job with laquer based paint.

A good painter doesn't need to color sand and buff the clear coat.

Not to get in an argument with you. But the best painters in the country wet sand and buff .... im not talking your local painters paint job. I'm talking ridler awards .. they are the best painters in the country and they still wet sand. Wet sanding is what sets apart a show car paint job from just a regular paint job.

Last edited:
Back