Starting Problems with buddy's 7.3

4x4dually

It is a 92 or 94, don't remember, but it is a 350, single wheel, long bed, 4 door, non-turbo 7.3L. He has been fighting a ghost for a while now about starting. If the engine is cold, and he hits the starter, most of the time, it will fire right up and never miss a beat. Sometimes when it is cold and most of the time when it is hot, the engine will crank and crank and crank forever before it will light off.

I know nothing about this truck's engine....I've helped him replace almost everything else.

What are the things I should help or tell him to check first? Someone told him low compression as the truck has 250K+ miles on it.

Thoughts?

On the other hand, what would someone be willing to give to buy it? :D He don't know whether to try to fix it or sell it.

I sure am glad I drive a Cummins around......Ford POS tech support sucks around here.

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

The real problem is circled right on the grille Jory! LOL

has he tried the fuel filter?

The real problem is circled right on the grille Jory! LOL

has he tried the fuel filter?

:hehe: Tell it.

The very first thing I told him a while back was fuel filter. It has been replaced several times.

He said it actually starts easier the long it sits and cools off....which makes me think air isn't the problem...but hell I don't know.

Theres a single 12v lead on top of the injection pump. it is the shut down solenoid. if it wont start check to see it has voltage. Sometimes wiggle the connector will take care of the problem. If this doesnt work let me know and we"ll move onto step 2.

It probably was the shut down solenoid. He got it going. I had him clean all the battery ends but that didn't help. He had both the positive ends replaced and it kicks off again like it should. :D

Thanks guys for the advice.

Truck is for sale. I'll post pics and junk in the classifieds when I get them.

Big, Ford, Tank.

I have a hunch that it was the shutdown solenoid as well but if he gets the chance, have him put a wrench on the fuel lines as well just to rule that out. My 91 had an issue with one of the lines coming loose which made it hard to start as well but it also ran rough. Just an fyi, glad the trucks running!!

Back