What is your take on boost limiting?

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
Just trying to make sure im not over thinking on boost limiting...

I hear all sorts of things... no limiter at all.... set it on 200 and forget it..... ramp it up, etc etc.

also, depending on turbo size, is there really a reason to boost limit a daily driver past 20 psi? i don't see the need really.

My main problem is the same problem i always fight in the Texas summer... timing related smoke. heavy truck, hot days, tight converter... you know:bs:

do any of you tuners have a "summer tune" where you back off the main and or pilot timing 2 degrees or so in the 30-70mm range?

pics attached of what i was doing before and after.

input is surely appreciated,

-Marcus

Attachments

• boost limit 1.jpg
    boost limit 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boost limit 2.jpg
    boost limit 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is my main timing, you can see where the low spot is in timing, that is where i retarded it to help reduce smoke.

My truck really doesn't want to get out of its own way. getting it to spool is a chore sometimes....

am i on the right track here? give it to me strait, i don't care:bang

Attachments

• main timing 1.jpg
    main timing 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • main timing 2.jpg
    main timing 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
I use boost limiting on my vehicle for smoke control on the low end. It also helps limit low end power in hopes of saving some parts. I like to use it to make power where I want to and in my case it is a softer limiter than some others. I like how it can clean up a tune and not really feel like you hit the wall, I hope that helps.

Boost limiting is amazing for clean tunes. I have a eco tune that will not smoke from 0 to 100% throttle. In the hot tunes I still limit the fuel sure it doesn't hit as hard but it keeps internal parts happy because its not dumping fuel at 1000rpm.

Back