ZF Help?!? - Slave Cylinders/Pressure Plate loads/Clutches

Sud

Wasn't sure where to post this, but surely there's some ZF-6 guys on CompD here somewhere...

I've destroyed 3 slave cylinders in the last 2 months. the most recent one didn't even last long enough to put the truck in gear. (finished replacing it, bled the slave, started the truck, and within 10 seconds the slave crapped out, dumping fluid out of the bellhousing.)

I'm running a Kenny Smith Dual Disk clutch. I don't know how "heavy" the pressure plate load is on this set-up, but i do know that it's the heaviest clutch pedal I've ever pushed in. (most all my buddies agree, who have also had dual disk clutches, but on dodges.)

I'm contemplating trying a different clutch. Awful expensive "experiment", but if it works, then i don't mind.

I don't care if it's single disk, dual, triple, doesn't matter. needs to be capable of holding minimum of 600hp (would prefer 650-700). but without having to use an excessive pressure plate load to do so.

I intend to talk to a few companies (south bend, valair, KY Clutch, and any other that may be recommended) to explain my troubles, and see if they have experienced similar issues or if they have recommendations.

Is it likely the Kenny Smith Clutch has too much pressure plate load, popping these slave cylinders? if so, do the other clutch companies not have this problem?

Any racers/puller care to share their setup?

ANYONE have any insight for me?

Are you replacing slave cyls. with stock units or upgraded like is recommended?

If someone makes an upgraded/heavy duty slave cylinder for a duramax zf-6, i'm all ears.

Got a source from who or where this is recommended?

Maybe nobody does, I'm not sure, just throwing out possibilities. I know that most clutch builders use a lighter pressure plate load on those, so upgrades aren't usually needed. Is the clip behind the throwout bearing catching the fingers maybe?

I know that most clutch builders use a lighter pressure plate load on those, so upgrades aren't usually needed.

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. By "lighter pressure plate load on those", do you mean duramax clutches, or dual disk clutches, or ??

cause this Kenny's dual disk clutch is definitely not "light" by any means.

Already there. lol. just seein if any pullers/racers over here would have any experience or suggestions.

SBC Triple here with stock slaves! no issues at all

Got a south bend street duals in my dads lly running 400+ horse loaded all the time and just running a factory slave cylinder. Had to switch to a synthetic fluid though because regular dot3 was boiling

I bled the whole system with the previous slave cylinder replacement, and converted it to DOT4 instead of DOT3.

Which uses a higher/heavier pressure plate load - a single, dual, or triple disk?

Believe i got it straightened out... We figure the fingers on the pressure plate were too short, leaving too big of a "hole" in the middle, allowing the throwout bearing to actually sorta half way slip inside that hole, putting the slave in a bind and not fully disengaging all the fingers.

Talked to Kenny (Kenny's pulling parts and machine, in Waynesburg KY) and he had me bring the clutch down to check it out. He put a new pressure plate on, with longer fingers (smaller "hole"). Everything else on the clutch looked great, hardly even worn any yet. Got it installed and the clutch feels MUCH better than it has in the 2.5 years i've had it. much less "stiff", not nearly as hard to push in.

So far after one test drive, everything seems good and smooth. Time will be the true test, but i think this (new pressure plate) fixed my problem. What a pain to figure out (pulled transmission 3 times in ~2 months)... but BIG THANKS to Kenny for taking care of me on this.