So Why arent More Pullers Doing it????

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Well, funds arent exactly there to realy get my new Puller build into high gear....so with all the down time on the truck, I have a lot of different ideas rolling around about how to build it.

So one thought Ive been having is putting in a DT466 into my 1st gen body. Its no secret that these motors can make WAY more power than a 5.9 cummins can right now, but what is secret is how to get that power!!!

But with that being said, why arent more pullers using the DT motors? I know in almost all Orgs that going to bump them up into a 3.0 but most likly Mods.

With my build, i stated with the idea of making something fun to pull with. I got way over my head on the last build and it crashed down on me and wasnt any fun anymore. So with this one, its all for fun. I mainly plan to run local Fair open classes and just go around and hook for the heck of it. If I go with a DT its not going to be a full blown 2500hp motor, just something in the 6-700 range most likely single turbo and if I can make more than that...great! And i mainly choose the DT to be differnt and have some fun. I think it would be pretty cool to see a DT motor sitting in a 1st gen body! But there is ZERO information out there to do this! All the sled pullers out there that know the DT motors and VERY tight lipped, and even the places that sell parts dont list them!!!

Should I even attempt this as a fun puller or just stick with a 12v?

But do Mod truck classes say that? Or do they go with a Cube rule?

Also, If I do it, Im not trying to fit in a 2.6 or 3.0 class. Just the Run what ra brung classes, seems there are a lot more of these types of hooks that 2.6 classes!

NADM Rules are kinda Grey on the issue, says you can run them but will encure a penilty (i.e. hitch height, tire size, and weight)

Im not building a Mod truck by any means, but atleast if I wanted to go to a big show with a DT466 I could pull in that class.....highly out gunned though.......

if there is a cube rule than use a DT414 or DT436.

Just because the block stamp says xxxci doesnt me thats what it is. A DT408 isnt a 408. Theres no reason you couldnt use a dt466 just would need the correct sleeves and pistons. They would have to pump the motor to check the cubic inch. It is alot cheaper to build a higher hp 5.9 than a dt466.

A motor out of a 966, or 1066 size tractor are 414 cubes. Then we put the truck pistons and crank in them to make them 466.

With out a doubt, The biggest reason right now Im not jumping on doing a DT466 in my puller is....well.....I cant find ANYTHING on geting any power out of these motors anywere!!!! I know I can easily get a 12v to were I want, which isnt too wild, and the fact that I just want to pull for fun, I have an open slate as to what I can do with it.

But all in all, I chose the 1st gen to be a bit different. So why not a DT? Its different, and can probably be a ton of fun to take around and pull with! I mean, come on, how cool would it be to see a 1st gen Ext Cab DRW with a decent running DT under the hood????

power is easy. You just need to decied which pump to run wether a rotory or a inline which starts with where you source your motor from. I have some number if you are interested in this build.

all rules I've seen for sanctioned pulls state a block based on a factory available engine in 1 ton or less pickup trucks and 460 cu in max. The Ohio cat truck is considered "factory based" because it can swing a stock crank.

If you go to some tractor pulling forums you should be able to find plenty of info on building a DT-466 and it shouldn't take too much to get to 700hp. Places like Schieds and Hypermax got were playing with those engines 20 years before they started on the 5.9 so theres tons of resouces available. I forget the name of the place but there is a company that has or at least had a bolt on kit that would take the 400 series block out to 570 cubic inches.

Spend some time on pulloff and I bet you will find a good running tractor motor that you can drop in cheaper then you can dream of building it this fall.

here bosshawg

DT-360 Conversion in progress - Powerstroke Nation

not for a 466 but all the parts basically swap over. hope that helps.
also another guy is doing the same but in a ford

The 466 has been bought! - Powerstroke Nation

Def got a lot of reading ahead of me!!!!

Spend some time on pulloff and I bet you will find a good running tractor motor that you can drop in cheaper then you can dream of building it this fall.

Im on there quite a bit, and they do have a few for sale. Got a 5K RPM fully built motor on there now for 4500......... Too bad the info isnt there at all. I know there are a ton of guys on there that can get me over what I want for less than I want to spend!!!

wipe out has a 670ci kit for em.

And those are what....7 grand??? WAY more than I want to spend!!!!!!

As of right now, i got a deal in the works for a 97 rolling chassis 1 ton. If that goes through I am for sure going with a DT466!!! lets just hope it comes through like it sounds!!!!

Back