ati or fluidampr for high rpm build

NakeDiesel

Smoke'n in the Mud
Just seeing if anyone has any new info on ATI vs Fluidampr dampers for a higher rpm engine. I've read all the old threads several times. I will be turning 5k+ rpm with this build, running CP-Carrillo's lighter pistons and rods and a lightened crank. Plan on running a comp damper without a pulley as I don't need one.

I've been running an ATI on my truck for 6 years with no issues other than getting a good tach signal for a real tach and my data logger. I've emailed ATI about getting one without the 2 notches and 4 magnets installed instead but getting 0 response from them.

I've been using a mag pickup on the 4 holes at the center of the damper to trigger off of for a tach signal and running that at first through a GM HEI module and now a MSD Signal conditioner. I'd really like to get it out to the edge of the damper and point it at the outside curved face and not have my sensor mount on the front of the block, basically wanting the pickup tighter/even with the damper. I'm moving the engine back (16" to 22") and would like to drop it down in the frame some as well for a lower COG and by eyeballing it looks like that frame brace would be in the way of it.

Thanks in advance.

37659682414_5ba78159de_b.jpg

In my experience I have seen multiple ATI's fail at higher RPM on pullers and I have never seen a fluid dampner fail until this year when the bolts broke on one at Scheid. I'm sure both are quality products but in my experience I would not go back to an ATI. All my experience has been with 5.9 ppump12V or 6.7 CR Cummins motors.

Didn't Firepunk/D@J do some sort of collaboration with FD for a high rpm balancer? Thinking it was for this past years UCC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Does fluidampr have the ability to mount magnets along the outer edge of the damper?

Yes. I think most folks machine the edge. You may not even need magnets if you have an optical pickup. There are some where you just have to apply a sticker and that's it.

I can't imagine an optical pickup working well on a mud race truck, either needs to be notches to read or magnets.

I run a Fluidampr on my stroked SBC as well as my 12v. Sees a lot higher rpms on the small block than you’ll ever turn with a diesel. I like the Fluidampr because it’s not tuned to specific frequency like the ATI.

Last edited:
I can't imagine an optical pickup working well on a mud race truck, either needs to be notches to read or magnets.

We run a completely enclosed 360* shield on our dampners for safety with only a couple of slots for the belts (if needed for accessory drives). This keeps the mud and dirt out and allow us to run an optical pick-up but understand your situation is more extreme.

Back