Idle and Rev Issues

DansDieselp24v

Did the swap on my 01 6speed and trying to start it for the first time. We can get it started no issue, it will idle low (about 500-600), tried to adjust idle screw and once it's hits about 700 it revs all the way and won't come back down. Like a runaway. Good fuel pressure 50+psi, timing at 18* (will be getting increased) .181 dvs 5ks, .093 holders, 7x.013 injectors at ppump pop off. Crazy carls apps kit. Bought the pump from CPP. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It may depend on what springs you use. Here’s a couple of quotes from Seth, Master of the P-Pump.

This one was in a thread about installing a set of DAP governor springs:

No shims on the inner 3 springs. Only the 3 springs and lower seat on each side. The outermost spring (idle spring) and it's shims are left alone. Set stud protrusion at .040-.060"

This one from a thread about setting idle after installing a set of Columbus Diesel 5K springs:

Set stud protrusion at .035-.045" (should be 4 clicks) and machine the springs (5k springs) down to 1.450" and they should work fine.

When I measured them where they are now I got .070, which I believe is 5 clicks. Looks like you are spot on with backing it out 1 or 2 clicks. Getting ready to give it a try! Thank ya sir!

Backed them off 1 click they measure .045 and .042 stud protrusion. Still has the same problem but with more control with the throttle. It tries to come back to idle but still revs and wont come back down. I will probably back it off one more turn and see if I get better results. If not the pump is coming off and going to Seth.

Are they by chance Columbus Diesel springs? If so you may need this info from a post by Jim Fulmer. It's the same thing Seth posted above.

I've also heard that Haisley's are the best too. Having said that I run a set of Columbus 5K's, the trick is you have to flat grind one end till they are 1.45" tall, I ground mine a little then cool them, grind a little and cool till I got them to the right height using a bench grinder. Then I installed them at .045-.055 stud protrusion and they start, idle and drive just about perfect. The only other thing I did was put a small piece of spray straw in the vacuum line going to the cruise control to take out the little bit of touchiness while cruising.

I fought this for a long time before I was given the right information.

Jim

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they are or not, I don't know what brand of springs CPP uses in their pumps. I am going to talk to the guy that built the pump tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks for the info!

Talked to the guy that built it and he wants me to take it off and take it to him. He thinks the rack is stuck/sticking. He said it shouldn't be the gov springs, if it were them it would "runaway" as soon as it gets started. Sound right??

Figured out what the issue was, slightly sticking/stuck rack and my own fault changing out delivery valves incorrectly. I know I know rookie mistake. Runs like a top now but need to adjust the timing. Thanks for the input fellas.

Back