Putting 12v rods in a CR

Glad i found this thread. I busted the stock crank in my 5.9 common rail and im replacing with 12valve crank and rods. Planning to installing soon and would have put in same way as cracked cap rods.
Should i really be worried about peen and polishing these rods? Might never be over 500hp in this truck.

I have never heard of any one "Busting" a 5.9 Cummins crank, especially in a stock setup. I would like to see a pic of it.... Unless you meant you spun a bearing.

Follow the CR5.9 orientation. I had a shop install the 12v rods long end on the exhaust side like the 12v would be and the engine had a Hamilton cam in it. It hit the cam lobes and destroyed the cam.$.02

That doesn't make sense. Dimensionally, everything is in the same place between a 12V and CR.

I have never heard of any one "Busting" a 5.9 Cummins crank, especially in a stock setup. I would like to see a pic of it.... Unless you meant you spun a bearing.

my good friend danny, had a truck come in with a 180,000mile stock vp engine that had a broken crank, nothing else failed first. the thing ran when it wanted to then shut off. guy drove it around for a couple weeks this way. engines just sitting on the floor for show now. pretty cool.

attachment.php

Broken between thrust and #6 rod journal.
My question is.. I could just drop in a 12 valve crank and not even pull the head. Since the top end has been running strong.. Once i pull the head im in it for a lot more money. Should i trust the stock CR rods or pull apart for complete rebuild with this 12v crank and rods i have.?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-27-10-09-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-27-10-09-45.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back