Hot Rod Diesel Fuel

Most racing fuels burn rate is different so you will need to change the tuning to take advantage of it. Just adding better fuel can hurt the power in a lot of cases, so do not be surprised if it doesn't help anything if you do not retune for it.

Yes, I will adjust the tuning for the testing I do.

Last edited:
I tried 1% nitro and my truck idled funny and I chickened out and added more diesel :D

i dumped a gallon of 35% nitro rc car fuel in five gallons of red and it mad no difference in the way the truck ran power wise it did idle funny but no power gain at all i dont see 100hp outa just dumpin some niro blend in the tank. My truck dos run better on the red fuel that I get around here than it does on the taxed stuff.

Ford must run different than a Cummins! The stuff I had was less than 50% methanol. I am surprised more people have not tried this stuff. I was single and stupid back then, no wife, few bills, just dirt bikes, rc cars, and Blue. Nitro has less BTU content, but requires substantially less O2 for combustion so on a heavily overfueled, under aired truck, it makes power. Back then, I only had an edge comp. I don't think I had exhaust, intake or injectors. Don't think I had a lift pump either. I think I dynoed just over 200 stock, 304 with edge comp, and a touch over 400 with the nitro mix. And yes, you can smell it, and yes, idle pitch/tone does change. It is really dry but in the RC mix, there is lots of good lubricity additives. If you're scared, add some 2 stroke oil to the mix. Better if you have a bucket to pull fuel from if you are going to test out a bunch of different fuels.

Don't know if Jet-A and JP-1 are the same but a local fuel company (no names cause it is illegal as crap...taxes) runs exclusively JP-1 in their delivery trucks. It burns hot and clean, I talked to the owner, he said has used the JP fuel in his 8 delivery trucks, all have Cummins and are class 6 and 8 trucks, and had noticed no ill effects but had gained cleaner exhaust and cleaner oil at 20k change intervals. The coolest thing is the exhaust stacks have no sut, just a chalky residue and the engine oil is cleaner.

Don't know if Jet-A and JP-1 are the same but a local fuel company (no names cause it is illegal as crap...taxes) runs exclusively JP-1 in their delivery trucks. It burns hot and clean, I talked to the owner, he said has used the JP fuel in his 8 delivery trucks, all have Cummins and are class 6 and 8 trucks, and had noticed no ill effects but had gained cleaner exhaust and cleaner oil at 20k change intervals. The coolest thing is the exhaust stacks have no sut, just a chalky residue and the engine oil is cleaner.

Where can i get some of this from?

I reserved a dyno day later this month to test ULSD, B100, and Hiperfuel Syn Diesel.

If you could sell me a gallon of the that, I'd like to dyno it too. Is it the "ELF" fuel?

I`ll get you some fuel to test Pat, I expect it in here any day, they are sending 30 gallons. No it isnt the elf fuel, It is a blend they think will work. He asked me what I wanted to see in a fuel, Me not being a chemist gave a nobel answer. " all I want it to do is work":hehe:, I am looking more for consistancy in a fuel that has more zip. Time will tell.

There is a company here in Tulsa named Saberchem and is owned by a nice guy named Scott. He has been wanting us to try his racing diesel for a while now. I know that he sells tons of regular racing fuel to outlets, and at track events. Ya might give him a call and see what up his fuel....

Boy.. that almost sounded like one of Gregs commercials....well almost :hehe::bang

There is a company here in Tulsa named Saberchem and is owned by a nice guy named Scott. He has been wanting us to try his racing diesel for a while now. I know that he sells tons of regular racing fuel to outlets, and at track events. Ya might give him a call and see what up his fuel....

Boy.. that almost sounded like one of Gregs commercials....well almost :hehe::bang

That would be good to know, I don't know of anyone in OKC that sells anything like that, not even B20 or B100.

Jim

Most "racing" fuels that work (other than just octane increase in gas) have something in common. They have an oxygenating ingredient in them that allows you to spray in more fuel into the same amount of air. Air is normally the limiting factor in engines.

But the common rails are often FUEL limited instead. So a racing fuel that works in a max effort 12v that is overfuelled, won't necessarily be the ticket for a fuel-starved Common Rail. Could even drop power while still showing good gains in a mechanical truck.

For the Common Rails we want a fuel with more energy per mm3 of Fuel. For mechanical engines you want a fuel that has more energy per Cubic Foot of Air. There is a difference.

So how do you set up a dyno test for both?

Set peak boost low. Do your testing. This will tell if it's a good oxygenator, or HP per CF of Air, for mechanical engines.

Set max fuel shot low. Do your testing. This will tell if it's has more energy per mm3 of fuel, for Common Rail.

Most "racing" fuels that work (other than just octane increase in gas) have something in common. They have an oxygenating ingredient in them that allows you to spray in more fuel into the same amount of air. Air is normally the limiting factor in engines.

But the common rails are often FUEL limited instead. So a racing fuel that works in a max effort 12v that is overfuelled, won't necessarily be the ticket for a fuel-starved Common Rail. Could even drop power while still showing good gains in a mechanical truck.

For the Common Rails we want a fuel with more energy per mm3 of Fuel. For mechanical engines you want a fuel that has more energy per Cubic Foot of Air. There is a difference.

Thats exactley what the frenchman said, the new fuel wil have a oxygenating ingrediant. He also told me they couldnt find the right ingrediants here in the states to build it. With some of their gas & alchol racing fuels, it is cheaper to buy the materiels here & blend it here, rather than ship it. according to him the fuel over here is very poor. If this stuff works I intend to be a distributor for it here in the states.

I couldnt find anything on saberchem? Got a link or #

I think the French have EXCELLENT racing diesel.

See, in 1939, they knew the Germans were getting ansy. So to combat the Aryan aggression, they developed two things for their tanks:

1) Higher performance diesel fuel for more speed.

2) A tank transmission with 15 reverse gears and a top speed of 60mph backwards...

;)

Footnote - While the performance increased, it did them no good.

It was easier for the drivers to surrender than learn to drive fast...

Back