Got My Pistons Back From Swaintech And....

I'm not sure how everyone can be so quick to blame the coating company with even seeing the packaging...

If the piston was damaged upon arrival at coating company, the coating company should have notified the owner of the issue, prior to coating. Until the piston arrives at the owners it is responsibility of the coating company.

If the piston was damaged upon arrival at coating company, the coating company should have notified the owner of the issue, prior to coating. Until the piston arrives at the owners it is responsibility of the coating company.

What I'm saying is this, if you've ever been in a Fedex or ups warehouse, you'd be amazed. I'm not laying blame on the OP. I'm just hinting at possibly the package was handled poorly in the shipping process. Packaging should prevent damage, however I'm just throwing it out there.

What I'm saying is this, if you've ever been in a Fedex or ups warehouse, you'd be amazed. I'm not laying blame on the OP. I'm just hinting at possibly the package was handled poorly in the shipping process. Packaging should prevent damage, however I'm just throwing it out there.

Understood, it may not be the coating companies fault that it was damaged, but it is their fault for not pointing it out when they received the package, if it happened on shipping to them. If the OP had insurance he could have made a claim. Regardless of whose fault it is, Swaintech basically hosed the OP, by their inaction.

Unless I missed a post about box/content condition here, how do we know it wasn't damaged on the way BACK to the owner, from Swaintech?

You know that's the line that'll be used.

Mark.

Unless I missed a post about box/content condition here, how do we know it wasn't damaged on the way BACK to the owner, from Swaintech?

You know that's the line that'll be used.

Mark.

Even if it was, If I'm shipping pistons I'm wrapping them up beyond recognition. If I shipped pistons everyday, I would have them individually packaged and then put into a bigger box.

You can package almost anything better than what UPS or FeDex can destroy....I ship better than 20 packages daily of varying different parts. Rarely do we get a claim on something we ship out.
Chris

Here are the three scenarios as I see it:
  1. If it arrived at Swain Tech damaged they should have notified the shipper - blame on Swain Tech for coating anyway
  2. If it was damaged at Swain Tech - blame on Swain Tech for damaging piston
  3. If it was damaged in shipping from Swain Tech back to the owner - blame on Swain Tech for poor packing

If the last scenario is the truth then Swain Tech can file a claim. Either way Swain Tech should supply the OP with a new coated piston.

Just my $.02

I wouldn't be scared to run that at all. Good ring file or part off tool in the lathe will square that right up and not hurt the ring....

Unless the impact has cracked the piston. Then it breaks off in the cylinder. I've got one her some one was to rough with and broke the ring land out of it in similar fashion

There are scenario's where I would file and run it, but a engine where I thought it was worth the effort to coat them in the first would not be one of those scenario's.

Here are the three scenarios as I see it:
  1. If it arrived at Swain Tech damaged they should have notified the shipper - blame on Swain Tech for coating anyway
  2. If it was damaged at Swain Tech - blame on Swain Tech for damaging piston
  3. If it was damaged in shipping from Swain Tech back to the owner - blame on Swain Tech for poor packing

If the last scenario is the truth then Swain Tech can file a claim. Either way Swain Tech should supply the OP with a new coated piston.

Just my $.02

This guy gets it. Even though there was no damage to the box, swaintech filed a claim with UPS. UPS has come by and took the piston into their possession. After tracking the claim I see that it is in route back to swaintech.

The new piston that I bought will be delivered to them tomorrow. I just hope they dont take an additional 4 weeks to coat like they did the first round.

Last edited:
I have been using Twain Tech for yrs and have never had a problem with them.
This time of yr it will be a fast turn around, summers they are swamped.

I wanted to update this thread.

Swaintech has filed a claim with UPS and got a check for $100. They credited me the $100 and coated the '7th' piston at no charge other then shipping there. I am still out 210 for the extra piston but I did get 100 back. I am not really happy with the outcome but at least I am moving forward with this build.

I wanted to update this thread.

Swaintech has filed a claim with UPS and got a check for $100. They credited me the $100 and coated the '7th' piston at no charge other then shipping there. I am still out 210 for the extra piston but I did get 100 back. I am not really happy with the outcome but at least I am moving forward with this build.

They sent you how many dollars worth of coated pistons and they only insured them for $100?
That, to start with, sounds pretty shady for an established business.

That's really too bad. At least you got it sorted out for $110 and some time instead of just being completely screwed.

That sucks, but chit happens. I've dealt with Swain since way back in the 80's or early 90's. They are a good company.

Keep that dinged piston around. It'll make you a good spare if you ever need one.

I wouldn't be scared to run that at all. Good ring file or part off tool in the lathe will square that right up and not hurt the ring....
Not that my opinion matters, but I would call this bad advertising.
They sent you how many dollars worth of coated pistons and they only insured them for $100?

Everytime I send them pistons, I fill out their form that asks what $ of insurance I want placed on the package when it's sent back. Was that done? UPS's standard insurance is $100 on a package.

Everytime I send them pistons, I fill out their form that asks what $ of insurance I want placed on the package when it's sent back. Was that done? UPS's standard insurance is $100 on a package.

Me too.
We can now see the brass tacks of it. Swain gives you an option for return insurance.

I don't see this being Swains fault.

Back