Hydrogen generators on Diesels, How come no discussion? 60 MPG Duramax?!?

OK i specifically joined this site to ask a question about this since, after reading all of this I am extremely confused??? My brother bought plans and I am willing to try it on my truck, 02 duramax, so will it work any bit, I was assuming 15% increase. It kinda makes sense but I'm not sure. I don't see youtube videos on boroughs using it by the way.
You won't get anywhere close to 15% increase with HHO. It has been proven and verified by factual scientific study that HHO generators are a waste of time on vehicles.

No one should ever buy plans for an HHO generator either. It's nothing more than simple electrolysis. Electrolysis has been around for what seems like forever. Hell, I even made an HHO generator in my high school chemistry class. The information is well known and well documented... and above all... FREE.

In addition, look up polar covalent bonding and you'll understand how much energy it takes to separate hydrogen and oxygen bonds, how much energy is lost in the process, how little is produced, and why it's useless in a vehicle.

Every single HHO kit, information packet, or instructions that are sold are all a scam. Period. These companies try to promote the latest and greatest "invention", but they are all the same exact process. They continue to claim that they have a secret catalyst, or a new rod plating technology, or a special electrical modulator, etc. Again, all of this has been around for decades, and it's nothing new. In addition, you're still producing only a few measly liters of HHO per MINUTE. Your engine will gulp down that much air in a SECOND. Think of a dilution factor in the range of 10,000:1, and you'll see why you won't get any improvement with HHO.

Oh, and diesel133 has no clue as to what he's talking about when it comes to HHO. Here's an example:
diesel133 said:
HHO is 3 times more potent than gasoline, and physics explains the law of conservation of energy, " you can not get more energy out of what you put into it" so how does this work?
HHO is 3 times more potent than gasoline? Really? Hmmmm

Gasoline = 30735.81 BTU/L
HHO = 9.54 BTU/L (at atmospheric pressure, same as what's produced on an HHO generator)

Gee, does that look like HHO is 3 times more potent than gasoline? :hehe:

And the whole "conservation of energy" is piss poor and misguided application of physics. It's a common trick that HHO promoters use. They try to validate their claims with "scientific equations" that are simply either not true, or not applicable and thus misconstrued (just like the link that he posted... the information there is laughable at best). Again, look up covalent bonding, and you'll see that there is a measured amount of energy it takes to break hydrogen and oxygen bonds. In addition, you'll find out that it's not 100% efficient. As a matter of fact, you spend more electricity to break the bonds than what you get back in actual useable energy. So in the end, you get a net loss, rather than a gain. The best HHO kits out there produce up to a max of 3 liters per minute of HHO. Since we can clearly see the amount of BTUs that HHO has, we can understand quickly why HHO has very little to no effect.

Oh, and this had me laughing too:
diesel133 said:
The hho gas actually burns hydrocarbons from your engine, lowers egt's, completes the burn, and runs quieter.
No, HHO gas does NOT have those properties. Earlier you mentioned that to run HHO, you must lean out the fuel. This is true, but why? The reason is that as the fuel mixture becomes leaner (especially true with gasoline), the burn rate slows down. This is how you create hot spots on a gas engine and burn it up. Supplementing hydrogen into the mix increases the burn rate back to normal levels.

However, here are the problems... and it's something that no HHO promoter will tell you.... In order to even start to see a benefit from hydrogen, you must be at least 18:1 AFR on a gas engine (normally at 14.7:1), and to run optimally, you should be at about 21:1 AFR (insanely lean). Now, to make up for the lean condition, you need an adequate supply of hydrogen. Well, with the best HHO kits making at most 3 liters per minute, you are seriously lacking the volume of hydrogen needed to make up for the lean condition. Instead, you need an onboard tank of pure compressed hydrogen pumping in enough volume to make up for the difference, but this is not what an HHO kit is all about. So the end result is... no mileage gains from HHO. Instead, you'll increase mileage simply from a lean condition, but with something like a gasoline engine, you'll burn it up faster. For a diesel application, our engines gulp in much much much more air than a gas engine, so HHO is even further diluted, and thus becomes even more useless.

Seriously, if you want to experiment with HHO, do not buy plans, do not buy a kit, don't fall for scams. Your money should only go to Home Depot for parts, and to your local water department for your source of water to run it. Don't be surprised when nothing happens. In fact, I have a nice little experiment for any HHO user to try, and it specifically applies to diesel engines (since they have less fuel management sensors):

Hook up an HHO generator to an on/off switch accessible inside the cab (preferably where the driver can easily reach it). Find a nice long stretch of flat road. Do not use the cruise control, but instead maintain a steady speed with your foot on the accelerator pedal comfortably where it won't move. Once a steady speed is maintained, flip the switch and turn on the HHO generator. If it actually works, you should pick up speed without pushing any further on the accelerator.

This works for diesels because they don't care what the oxygen content of the air is, nor do they even monitor the air/fuel ratio. So there's no sensors to trick, nothing to do whatsoever. It's a simple and straightforward experiment.

Ok I'm even more not wanting to try it now because of what you told me, however I found out about this from seeing it on CNN twice, but my brother said if it doesn't work he'll buy it off of me and the parts for it I am getting from home depot, the link diesel133 posted actually consists of parts from home depot / lowes, and I joined HHOforums.com and it just makes sense of how and before I explain I want to say I'm not arguing but this is what I was told.

Only 33% of fuel in a gasoline engine is burned in the chamber, the hho being "potent" more than gasoline is what I'm assuming it burns faster and hotter but turns to steam thus cooling the engine down? If a generator runs 12 volts at 12 amps that's 144 watts which is 1/5 of a hp, if 1/5 of a hp is enough to complete the burn in the combustion chamber then it seems that you would get increase in power and I'm assuming fuel economy. However on a diesel 75% is burned in the combustion chamber so I'd like to see how'd that turn out. From being on hhoforums.com it made a lot of sense the way they explain it so I might try it for the simple fact my brother will buy it back if it doesn't work. I know a lot of people on here say it doesn't work and prove it by science but yet people are proving how it works by using science as well. I think I'm just going to buy a good kit off of eBay and will keep updated on how it works.

Ok I'm even more not wanting to try it now because of what you told me, however I found out about this from seeing it on CNN twice, but my brother said if it doesn't work he'll buy it off of me and the parts for it I am getting from home depot, the link diesel133 posted actually consists of parts from home depot / lowes, and I joined HHOforums.com and it just makes sense of how and before I explain I want to say I'm not arguing but this is what I was told.
Sure you can try it if you want. It's not going to hurt a diesel. After all, it really doesn't do much to begin with.

Only 33% of fuel in a gasoline engine is burned in the chamber, the hho being "potent" more than gasoline is what I'm assuming it burns faster and hotter but turns to steam thus cooling the engine down?
No, those are the myths that HHO vendors throw at you. A gas engine doesn't burn 33% of the fuel, that's a ridiculously low number that scammers throw out. Rather, gas engines burn almost 100%, nearly all the fuel. What they are confusing you with is "thermal efficiency". Thermal efficiency is the percentage of energy taken from the combustion event and converted into mechanical work. On a gas engine, thermal efficiency is about 30-40%. The rest is waste energy expelled out the exhaust or into the coolant system. Further energy losses occur with mechanical losses (a gas engine is typically 95% mechanically efficient or only a 5% loss - this is crank shaft movement losses, camshaft, etc), accessories (air conditioning, alternator, water pump, etc, about 2-3%), as well as driveline losses (about 18%). Since gas engines burn nearly 100% of the fuel in the combustion chamber, increasing that burn by only a fraction of a percentage with HHO (if you are lucky) will have a nearly net zero effect on the overall thermal, driveline, accessories, and mechanical efficiency of a motor. This is proven physics.

Hydrogen does not help burn more gasoline, doesn't make it burn hotter, doesn't cool the engine down, doesn't clean out the carbon, etc. Again those are just bogus claims that HHO vendors use to attract people into their scams.

To use HHO (or just hydrogen for that matter) on a gas engine, you must run it lean, otherwise the hydrogen doesn't do anything, or at the most you just end up with a rich condition. You must run the engine lean, and for whatever amount of gasoline you pull out, you must replace it with an equal amount of hydrogen. Of course, HHO kits cannot produce enough hydrogen to make up for the difference in gasoline removed, so these kits don't work. Sure you can increase mileage by pulling out fuel and leaning the motor out, but if you aren't replacing it with hydrogen, then the fuel burns slower, it creates hot spots, and you melt a hole in a piston. If you supplement enough hydrogen, then the gasoline will go back to it's normal burn rate, and the engine runs like it should. Of course, you don't want to drive around with a huge pressurized hydrogen tank in your car... because that's what it would take to supply enough hydrogen since an HHO kit can't do it. Now what happens if you get into a wreck? Plenty of car companies trying to make fuel cell cars are battling with that very issue right now... storing hydrogen safely.

If a generator runs 12 volts at 12 amps that's 144 watts which is 1/5 of a hp, if 1/5 of a hp is enough to complete the burn in the combustion chamber then it seems that you would get increase in power and I'm assuming fuel economy.
Again, hydrogen doesn't "complete the burn" for fuel. That's not how it works.

However on a diesel 75% is burned in the combustion chamber so I'd like to see how'd that turn out.
Just like the gasoline engines, you are getting false information about diesels from the HHO scammers. Gas engines run at 30-40% thermal efficiency, where diesels run 40-50% thermal efficiency. Diesel fuel also has a higher energy content. On the flip side, a gas engine will usually have a more complete burn than a diesel. Think of that black soot that comes out the tailpipe... that's fuel that hasn't been completely burned. So although a diesel doesn't burn fuel as complete as a gas engine, the increase in thermal efficiency combined with the higher energy content of fuel make the diesel a more efficient engine.

Of course, HHO doesn't help burn the fuel better. In the case of a diesel, you have a much larger volume of air being drawn in than compared to a gas engine, so the HHO is far more diluted, and there isn't enough to make a difference in combustion.

being on hhoforums.com it made a lot of sense the way they explain it so I might try it for the simple fact my brother will buy it back if it doesn't work. I know a lot of people on here say it doesn't work and prove it by science but yet people are proving how it works by using science as well. I think I'm just going to buy a good kit off of eBay and will keep updated on how it works.
Well, good luck with it. If you truly want to test mileage, here's how you do it.

1) Track fuel mileage over a minimum of 4 tanks, and take the average (4 tanks without HHO, 4 tanks with HHO). That is your fuel mileage. Always calculate fuel mileage by hand.
2) Try to drive the same or similar routes every time.
3) Do not alter your normal driving style. This is a big one, since most people when they add a "mileage enhancer", they tend to go lighter on the throttle, and end up with a false improvement in mileage. This is the placebo effect.
4) Always fill up the fuel to the filler neck. That way you know that you are getting the exact same amount of fuel every time at every fillup. Don't fill the tube with foam, continue to dribble in until you get fuel showing at the filler neck.

Tracking fuel mileage the proper way will give you the true results of any modification.

Well even thought you are making a whole lotta sense the fact my brother will buy it off of me is why I'm trying it haha, I ordered today off of eBay and after shipping it was $375 and it comes with everything I need. Fuel mileage wise I always calculate my mpg by hand and its always around 21 and my computer is right on with the hand calculation too. That is with my econo mode on too, with out its about 19 and this is city driving. But another question, even though it's not a lot of gas how come they claim there's a noticeable power increase equivalent to that of putting on a cold air intake, the reason they say is because its already a gas going in and not a liquid?

Yes, and I picked the 3-5 business day shipping it should be here by Monday or Tuesday I live close to the shipper and should have it installed before next weekend.

Well even thought you are making a whole lotta sense the fact my brother will buy it off of me is why I'm trying it haha, I ordered today off of eBay and after shipping it was $375 and it comes with everything I need. Fuel mileage wise I always calculate my mpg by hand and its always around 21 and my computer is right on with the hand calculation too. That is with my econo mode on too, with out its about 19 and this is city driving. But another question, even though it's not a lot of gas how come they claim there's a noticeable power increase equivalent to that of putting on a cold air intake, the reason they say is because its already a gas going in and not a liquid?

$375!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! :gag::gag::gag: If you're going to try HHO, just make your own kit for less than $30. Buying kits like this only brings more money to the scammers.

And HHO supplier claim what they want. Many still claim you can double or triple your mileage, which simply isn't true and is NEVER duplicated in any valid test.

Yes I know and I got screwed because it comes with an "EFIE" which controls the O2 sensor but I'm just going to sell it separately, It consists of 15 316L 20 gauge stainless steel plates 8"x8" which I know isn't cheap, the gaskets for them has to be a waste because I found out it's shower pan lining. The bubbler is a $9 universal washer fluid reservoir, all the wires, relays, switches, tubing, and parts adds up to about $50. I'd say it costs them a little over $250 including that efie which I won't need. I did get the tracking number and it was shipped today ;) the feedback from his eBay customers all say it works, there's just too many people saying it works who are not out there being paid too, or promoting it but just saying they have it and works so I'm giving it a shot plus my brother will buy it off of me and use it to weld. I'm actually more prepared to see this thing not work haha but who knows, not trying to be cocky here but did you ever see it in person or try it pocket?

not trying to be cocky here but did you ever see it in person or try it pocket?

I've built an HHO generator in high school years and years ago. Got it to sustain a flame, so I know how much hydrogen is actually produced, which isn't much (burns with less intensity than most candles). Technology hasn't changed since then either. Electrolysis is still the same, no matter how many plates you add, or what kind of catalyst you think works best. In the end, it ALWAYS comes down to amps.... and you simply don't have enough with an automotive circuit limiting you to 15-30 amps.

I've never run it on any of my vehicles because I know exactly what would happen..... nothing, so I don't feel like wasting my time. There is a ton of information out there about the real effects, real testing, and results of HHO. I've done a lot of research on the subject in the past, and I've found factual testing. It's just hard to find because there's so many scammer sites out there promoting their products, and it all gets cluttered. But you have Popular Science, the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Reports, etc all coming down hard on HHO kits. Why? Because in every test, they could never come remotely close to meeting the claims of the people selling these kits.

If HHO really provided such a huge increase in fuel mileage as these scammers claim, it would be an instant success, and much more popular than any other modification on the market. Facts are.... it's not very popular at all, because it doesn't work. It's only being perpetuated by the very people trying to rip off others. Visit the HHO websites... not a single one of them has any actual 3rd party ISO or ASTM or SAE testing results. Not one. That says a lot, especially for something that's supposed to improve mileage so much.

I see and that does stur a wonder, I'm still going to try it for the hell of it, I have a high school physics and chemistry knowledge, I did good in those classes as they were my interest but both parties are making sense out of what they're saying so I honestly don't know what to expect, like I noticed earlier, I saw on CNN of a guy who actually bought a 6 car garage and makes and installs them for a living and I don't think he'd be in business if it didn't work. I also saw a couple different news clips of boroughs using them and a school district in Canada who has them on their school busses. They seemed like valid clips and the one I saw on CNN was actually on tv not off youtube or any other one.

Well I have some good news for some and some bad news for others? But no one has responded to this post in a while so is everyone still involved?

As soon as I started the engine I noticed it was significantly quieter and the throttle response is by far greater from when you go from stalk to a banks cold air intake ;) :woohoo:

It took longer than I thought but a member on hhoforums.com told me where to put everything before I even got it which helped dramatically, it's hooked up to a relay too so it only runs when the engine is running but I can still shut it off if I need to. As for fuel economy I hooked up my buddy's edje monitor so it tells me my mpg, at this time I will not say it for the purpose I only drove 80 miles and want to test it the real way. I don't want to go by the monitor because I did a mix of hwy and city and I kept jumping through power levels to see how it reacted, after 80 miles it did say how much fuel I used. If I get what the monitor says out of 5 tanks of fuel I will $h!t my pants, and pocket.....I'm not downing you at all but as for now I am having success but we'll let time do its job.

Back