Drive pressure particle trap?

here's the 1st test mule
dptrap01.jpeg

Put me on the list for batch #1.

nice set-up...i'd be willing to test one....or buy one after they have been tested too. LOL

I thought the point of a bov was to eliminate turbo bark. dp is still pressure, same as boost. with what you said, you could hook boost to it. drop boost and it will open. always thought boost kept a bov closed and vacuum opened it when throttle was released

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

When your on the gas, DP will develop before boost pressure and the dp will keep the BOV shut. Drive Pressure drops as soon as so you cut the fuel and the engine starts decelerating. Its the deceleration of the engine (faster than the turbo) that causes surge. And when DP drops boost pressure will push the BOV open.

Vacuum isn't really what opens a BOV on a gas engine, its more from dropping manifold pressure by closing the throttle blade. When that manifold pressure drops the turbo can/should easily open the BOV.

When your on the gas, DP will develop before boost pressure and the dp will keep the BOV shut. Drive Pressure drops as soon as so you cut the fuel and the engine starts decelerating. Its the deceleration of the engine (faster than the turbo) that causes surge. And when DP drops boost pressure will push the BOV open.

Vacuum isn't really what opens a BOV on a gas engine, its more from dropping manifold pressure by closing the throttle blade. When that manifold pressure drops the turbo can/should easily open the BOV.

great explanation. Thank you kind sir.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

How about adding a drain cock port?
dp_part_trap02.jpg

Maybe even a check valve thats normally open (1-2psi to close) to automatically empty any moisture collected?

that sounds like a bad idea..

1. You create flow in the tube between the manifold and your device. Something we need to avoid right?
2. Tube temperature now much higher. More costly materials to handle higher heat?
3. Tube isn't radiating heat off nearly as much anymore. Think idling at 300-degrees flowing 300 degree air. Big turbo that doesn't make much boost at cruise @ 55mph is 1-3psi is at 800-900 cruising on the highway, with air flowing if the check valve isn't closed all the time
4. soot clogs the check valve open just a little. Now you've just compounded the problem.
5. with flow, you now create a chance to clog up the manifold tube to your device more often then not.
6. Most importantly, now there's a soot to clean up on engine parts every now and then. For the show trucks is this a bad idea

Last edited:
that sounds like a bad idea..

1. You create flow in the tube between the manifold and your device. Something we need to avoid right?
2. Tube temperature now much higher. More costly materials to handle higher heat?
3. Tube isn't radiating heat off nearly as much anymore. Think idling at 300-degrees flowing 300 degree air. Big turbo that doesn't make much boost at cruise @ 55mph is 1-3psi is at 800-900 cruising on the highway, with air flowing if the check valve isn't closed all the time
4. soot clogs the check valve open just a little. Now you've just compounded the problem.
5. with flow, you now create a chance to clog up the manifold tube to your device more often then not.
6. Most importantly, now there's a soot to clean up on engine parts every now and then. For the show trucks is this a bad idea

IDK- Does drive pressure really drop to <1psi ?
If it doesn't then the drain valve will never open.

Oh well it was just a thought to make it semi self draining.
$2 pet-cock it is :rockwoot:

It's not less then 1 at 55mph but rather close with bigger singles. Some trucks at idle with twins, I know see 1psi. Just for the #6 reason alone you should give a choice.

yeah at cruise my drive gauge is on the peg as well. boost around 3-ish at 55-60. normally the boost number is higher then the drive number till about 50psi and things are 1:1 for me.

dont have a DP gauge yet cause i didnt wanna fawk with clogging a hose, so im waiting for your little contraption to release lol. but at 0 boost id imagine DP is very close to 1:1

yeah at cruise my drive gauge is on the peg as well. boost around 3-ish at 55-60. normally the boost number is higher then the drive number till about 50psi and things are 1:1 for me.

That's interesting, thats a BFT if it can work on negative DP:BP ratio :Cheer:
How much higher? 1-3 or more?

Back