Drive pressure particle trap?

I don't know much about the cummins motor but, maybe it has something to do with the I6 and the design of the exhaust manifold vs a v8 exhaust manifolds. And the flow of the heads? I'm pretty sure the cummins (stock) has a poorly flowing cylinder head on it? The cummins flows well on the exhaust side and poorly on the intake side IMO. I'm a duramax guy and don't think I have heard of drive pressure being lower than boost pressure in a dmax.

My lb7 runs higher boost than drive to about 15lbs of boost.

To answer the flow question, think in terms of mass flow. When the tube pressure rises, you're forcing more molecules of air into the tube (as well as soot particles). Simple gas law stuff:

PV = nRT
P goes up, V stays same (tube is dead ended). n is what is rising. T goes up a tad too I'm sure but wouldn't likely rise everywhere in the tube if it is relatively long.

Opposite happens when the pressure drops.

Net gas flux in and out every time you're on and off the go pedal. That's how the gauge gets gunked up.

i believe you. you dont have to waste your time man. i cant figure out how its possible tho lol

It' s callled "crossover" and happens when everything comes together in the system to make something happen that you would never expect. In real simple terms, it's when the compressor and turbine flows are so well matched to the engine volumetric efficiency that the overall output of the system rises significantly. Generally speaking the perfection of the match will probably only exist over a certain RPM band.

Same kind of thing happens in the N/A gasser world when you get an induction system and exhaust system so perfectly matched that the wave pulses in the engine allow it to swallow more air than the CID would indicate (over 100% VE)

One truckpuller was describing it to me that when they finally got it dialed in and could get it into crossover, the engine just felt unstoppable.

Last edited:
nwpadmax, so im not crazy and maybe i dont have mismatched parts? heh!

my DP gauge was working before i parked my truck. isnt right now. :( meh

The bodies are done, just waiting on the caps.... lots of holidays and other HOT jobs are making this a slow process.

Won't the screens have the same fate as ordinary filters? I do like the expansion chamber though so it can slow the exhaust velocity so heavier particles can fall out.

What if you made a centrifugal filter after that so the heavier particles will sling out. Nothing to clog, simple, only if it will filter enough....

Won't the screens have the same fate as ordinary filters? I do like the expansion chamber though so it can slow the exhaust velocity so heavier particles can fall out.

What if you made a centrifugal filter after that so the heavier particles will sling out. Nothing to clog, simple, only if it will filter enough....

There is options for pleated disc screens but I want to see how we do with basic screens. People have been trying to use fuel filters and such but those are normally paper filters which are pretty tight and easy to clog.

Centrifugal filter would require moving parts with no lube and not a lot of thru flow to move them. Great for oil and fuel filters where the fluid is the lube, soot and hot air don't make for good lube.

I've been contemplating something to "purge" the filter as to extend the service life but nothing yet besides a valve to use BP to back purge when BP is higher than DP... IDK.

So far so good for my test truck.

Doing some particle trap testing today... This truck definitely rolls the coal ROFL...
smokingshop.jpeg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiLxIdmCMjs&list=UUIXHlro3aQczR0p4fMooKdA&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiLxIdmCMjs&list=UUIXHlro3aQczR0p4fMooKdA&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Subscribed. Any thought on multiple outlet ports. Allowing for a gauge, bov, wastegate per filter. Or for the dual ex gate manifold guys.

I believe that would work. Just wanted to throw my .02 in. I'll be waiting patiently. I'll be needing 3 tsmart w/g's and 2 dp gauges filtered is why I asked.

Well, here is the pre-production model-
tk326.jpeg

TK326 Diesel Turbine Drive Pressure Particle Trap
Results are looking good so far...

Back