Let's talk trailers.....again.

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Yes I have issues with commitment. But this spring I am actually buying a trailer. Still fairly set on a PJ, loadmax or sure trac trailer as of now.

My main question is now.....what options??

Does anyone have a trailer with these new "mega wide" ramps? Do you like them? How heavy are they?

Is there a length when your just wasting your time?
I haul farm equipment and such and feel like the 24+5 I've been using is not enough. I think I need 27+5 or so for the farm but I am going to go to a pull and look like a jackazz with a huge trailer?

Anything else that is worth every penny? Electric over hydraulic brakes?

I know its a bunch of open ended questions but I just want your alls opinions.

I have hauled with a PJ for my uncle with the extra wide ramps and I really do like them. Not 100% necessary in nearly any situation but the extra width gives you a little more confidence when loaded equipment.

As for size that's up to you obviously, only thing I will say is if you think you need the 27+5 for equipment than who gives a **** what you look like when going to pulls. Don't let what works on sunday determine what you use on Monday if you get what im sayin

There are a lot of pullers with 32'+ trailers. 32' is about a minimum you can have if you have a pit vehicle figuring 22' for the truck and 10' for the pit vehicle. That is if you want to legal and not put a gator on there sideways. I have a 22'+5' now but I've made my own bed for the ranger so it's only 100" to load it on sideways. I'm a fan of Moritz trailers. We have bought several of them for around the farm now and that's what I haul my puller on. I'm also a fan of hydraulic tails and jacks. They are pricey but great if you are using the trailer a lot and the flat deck when you have the tail up would work good with hauling equipment.

To the op,
Pay attention to axle placement. A bunch of the equipment-type trailers have the axles pushed pretty far back.

I like hydraulic jacks, and a solar panel to keep the battery charged.

Had a tandem dual load max for 2 years with zero issues. Led lights and oil bath axles. Hauls up to 20k regularly.

Steel covering the tires on the deck, electric hyraulic brakes, mud flaps, LED lights, chain hangers, electric front jacks, I prefer running triple singles over duals. 30+5 is real nice in my opinion. We run loadmax.

Last edited:
PJ load max.
Definitely EoH brakes!!
Minimum 8k axles with 17.5 tires worth the $$$ plus substantially bigger brakes..

If you're not putting more than 20k miles a year on the trailer grease are fine (repack every 12k/12months) which ever comes first.. If more oil bath

30' IMO fold flat ramps.. Back the truck up after ramps are folded... I the aluminium I pull now is 35' find myself "bottom hooking" turns with RCLB truck.. And reduced plsces I can pull into eat with it...

I suggest the pop up dove tail. My ramps slid under. Only issue I could see if you have something really heavy, the trailer would need supported in the rear. However I have unloaded my truck off the trailer, with the trailer un hooked from the tow truck. Just drive off slow.

I have a 27+5 PJ tandem dual, love it. Rated 25k, I have single speed 12k lbs jacks, dual speed is better, but these work nice. Have you checked the power tail option with PJ? I think I'd rather have that than a full hydrolic dove. When I was looking, the chain box on the PJ was much bigger than others. Mine has three ramps, for tricycle tractors, and they all flip real nice, only thing to watch is where you have the left side ramp, so not to crush the license plate light. Hydrolic options are nice, but not necessary, more of a convenience, but by all means if you can afford it get them. uploadfromtaptalk1430133464156.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more on the triple axles. I wouldn't ever own a tri axle trailer. They are extremely hard on wheel bearings and you have to watch how sharp you turn.

Screw ramps. You don't need those pieces of crap. Just push a button...up...or down...

Best option available...period. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• moto_0314.jpg
    moto_0314.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
The only knock on the hydraulic dove option I've seen, is in the rain, they were slick, the tractors spun a little going up. Part of the reason I like the single hydrolic ramp PJ offers, kinda best of both worlds, you can still load all the way to the end, and leave the ramp vertical, and you get the extra traction of the self cleaning dove.

I might add that i hope you plan to price new trailers. Buying a used trailer these days is pretty silly. Every used trailer worth a damn on c list I found last month was the same price or more than a dam new one. Not sure how the used trailer industry got so out of control.

One more thing to pay close attention to is tires. It sounds simple but our biggest headache on our trailers from new were tires. The tires most manufacturers put on from the factory are COMPLETE garbage. I cannot count the number of tires we have laying around with almost new tread that broke the belts.

We ended up going to good year unisteel g614 tires on everything. They are pricey but they are a dam good trailer tire.

Back