The argument for a real conversion injector

Great info. now if we can just get someone to produce a few sets of these for the public then we would be in good shape.

Having a spring made is really not the best idea. It "could" work, but would require a large number of hoops be jumped through to do it correctly.

Bosch has the spring manufacturing for fuel injectors down. It not easily a process to mimic and have any long term durability. There are other reasons as well. Really it is a non starter for me.

So whats the solution? All of us Ppumped guys have to settle for injectors that "should work".

Not trying to start an argument (we all know how these injector threads go), Im just curious if theres application correct injector out there for the conversion crowd.... or something that works well?

Last edited:
Im just curious if theres application correct injector out there for the conversion crowd.... or something that works well?

That doesn't cost $1000. I'm sorry but I think for most of the conversion guys a VP injector with the pop off's adjusted will be just fine. For the guys going for all out power then ya, a conversion injector is worth it, but for joe schmo it's just not cost effective to drop that kinda coin on a set.

The set I got from Monster Pump Mike was the best unconverted set I've tried. They made good power without a huge amount of smoke. They do not run as smooth at idle as the F1's I have though. They were also the cheapest I've bought in a long time.

The set I got from Monster Pump Mike was the best unconverted set I've tried. They made good power without a huge amount of smoke. They do not run as smooth at idle as the F1's I have though. They were also the cheapest I've bought in a long time.

Do you have any video's of the dyno runs Ron?

I am planning a conversion soon, and am debating whether to keep the mach 6++ in the truck with the pop pressure changed, or look to a different injector? Any ideas?

Finally, if you just cant get into a converted part ( for whatever reason), have your fuel shop set up the VP44 injectors to "pop" at under 240 bar. Perhaps 230-235 to start. It is a band-aid, but at least it'll idle decent.

:what:
Why would lower pop pressures idle better?

I did my ppump conversion and went with 24V injectors, 7x14's with pops at 295 bar.

Idle is better than it has even been. Very very little idle haze once warmed up. Many people have commented on how smooth it idles and sounds when bringing the rpms up at the line.

Having compared to others in person (trucks idling side by side) with very similiar setups, but with the main difference being lower pop pressures, they had way more idle haze...

Takes longer to build 290-300bar then it does 235bar, so timing is somewhat affected and can be heard at idle? No idea

I believe a higher pop pressure will delay timing "X" amount, however in a ppumped application this is a mute point, as you can advance the timing to compensate for the delay caused by the injectors.

That doesn't cost $1000. I'm sorry but I think for most of the conversion guys a VP injector with the pop off's adjusted will be just fine. For the guys going for all out power then ya, a conversion injector is worth it, but for joe schmo it's just not cost effective to drop that kinda coin on a set.

So what about somebody like you? You less than joe schmo?? LOL

Just to clarify Don...Are you washing your hands of doing the conversion? I was talking to Lloyd Mills awhile back and learned just how much you have on your plate right now, and see how much time and trouble the conversion is.I had planned on sending my Mach7's in for the conversion, or new custom injectors once I get into a better financial situation. But I can fully understand now if you never want to do another set.

Do you have any video's of the dyno runs Ron?

I am planning a conversion soon, and am debating whether to keep the mach 6++ in the truck with the pop pressure changed, or look to a different injector? Any ideas?

I don't have any video's. I have a set of cores here that i am playing with. So far the mods haven't been too difficult. I opened the holes where the spring sits(only slightly) and made it the same diameter all the way to the bottom. I also opened up the feed hole down to the nozzle.I need to get some parts so I can figure out how deep to make the counterbore in the sleeve so the correct pressure can be achieved with fewer shims. When reading this thread I noticed Don mentioned something about plating. My guess is the exposed metal caused by the modification will start to rust from the water in the fuel. I hadn't thought about that. I have plating done all the time and will look into a process for this.

Ideally it would be a true conversion injector. But since most people don't have that kind of money to drop on one then you can either leave your injectors at stock pop off pressure or have the pop off's lowered. I think I'm gonna leave mine alone for now and see how I like it.

I agree...Ideally it would be a true conversion injector...I'm leaving mine at VP pressures untill I can afford to have them converted.

Back