2005 cummins EFI update

Incorrect.

No BETA timeline has been established.

Friend of mine is a beta tester and told me that last week, said efi was considering doing the 03/05 trucks before the 10-11 6.7's. I don't have a horse in the race just passing along info I was given.

Friend of mine is a beta tester and told me that last week, said efi was considering doing the 03/05 trucks before the 10-11 6.7's. I don't have a horse in the race just passing along info I was given.

I would be ok with EFILive doing the 03-05 first.

it would not upset me one bit if they did the 03 05 trucks first, I would think with the differences in the sci vs can based systems that they have two teams going focusing with specialized skills.

I've heard the beta testers could be ready to tune the 03/05 trucks as soon as march.
I don't know where people pull this sort of stuff from, but if it helps you can hear it directly from the horses mouth.

The time lines for development remain that we hope to offer support to 03-05 trucks mid-year.

With what we have ahead of SCI vehicles on the development list, and the fact that development needs to be co-ordinated so that Ross and Paul can work together (they live in different countries) pretty much rules out March - period! Even if they pulled all development ahead of SCI, given their schedules need to align March would see them have worked together, but develop a product and have it in testing would still be impossible.

it would not upset me one bit if they did the 03 05 trucks first, I would think with the differences in the sci vs can based systems that they have two teams going focusing with specialized skills.

Two teams sounds wonderful. EFILive development consists of Ross and Paul. Paul looks after the software side of things and Ross looks after the ECM/Tuning side of things from figuring out how to communicate with the ECM, to adding parameters and implementing features for all the controllers we support. So unless you split Ross into 2 two teams is impossible.

Cheers
Cindy

Not knowing much about EFI and "Real" tuning yet, I have a question:

Is there ANY chance that the SCI will Not be able to do the things that CAN-BUS does?
Just knowing what they know, is it possible the 03-05 trucks will not have the same capabilities?

Or is it still a "Wait and see"?

Is there ANY chance that the SCI will Not be able to do the things that CAN-BUS does?
Just knowing what they know, is it possible the 03-05 trucks will not have the same capabilities?

At this time David...it is unknown, but speculation would desire that the SCI trucks should have the same tuning capabilities as the CAN trucks.

Smoothing / pilot control/ third event elimination/ recalibrating the map sensor, these are some of the that make it worth waiting for.
If it cant happen I will look into the ecm swap.

Les is right, at this point it is still speculation, but I'd like to think about it optimistically in these terms.

An ECM contains two types of software. The first is the software that drives the Vehicle, the calibration software - it's all the parameters that you can't wait to get your hands on.

The second is the communication method between the vehicle and the diagnostic equipment - the communications with the outside world so to speak.

In this case, Cummins has changed the communications protocols with the outside world, switching from SCI to CAN.

I'd like to think that this change would have minimal impact on the calibration software, with the minor exception of as time has gone on regulatory requirements and technology has improved, which has driven parameter additions/changes.

I can say with some level of authority that the 2003 SCI ECM is very simplistic in comparison to the 2004.5 ECM. The 2003 is very 'basic' but how that transfers into tunability is yet to be seen. The 2004.5+ SCI ECM's are quite similar to their CAN counterparts.

Cheers
Cindy

Probably best to wait until the SCI tuning comes out. It may turn out to be better than the '06-'07 stuff and we'll all want an SCI ECM...

:poke:

Les is right, at this point it is still speculation, but I'd like to think about it optimistically in these terms.

An ECM contains two types of software. The first is the software that drives the Vehicle, the calibration software - it's all the parameters that you can't wait to get your hands on.

The second is the communication method between the vehicle and the diagnostic equipment - the communications with the outside world so to speak.

In this case, Cummins has changed the communications protocols with the outside world, switching from SCI to CAN.

I'd like to think that this change would have minimal impact on the calibration software, with the minor exception of as time has gone on regulatory requirements and technology has improved, which has driven parameter additions/changes.

I can say with some level of authority that the 2003 SCI ECM is very simplistic in comparison to the 2004.5 ECM. The 2003 is very 'basic' but how that transfers into tunability is yet to be seen. The 2004.5+ SCI ECM's are quite similar to their CAN counterparts.

Cheers
Cindy

Interesting on the 03 vs 04.5+ ECM's..

Thank you to you & Les for the explainations.

Probably best to wait until the SCI tuning comes out. It may turn out to be better than the '06-'07 stuff and we'll all want an SCI ECM...

:poke:

We'll see...lol
But If my luck holds true, the 04.5-05 stuff will be like the Most Impossible to tune! lol

How's your truck Mike?
You decide to swap chargers back or keep the top one?

Back