182/214 vs 188/220

Turbobark

Made some searches, found some info, but I thought I'd just ask you guys.

I am currently in the process of a rebuild on my engine, and it has a 188/220 Hamilton in it. Since I'm always wanting to buy things, I've been looking at the 182/214 Hamilton.

From what I've gathered:
  • 188/220: Idle-4200 (More efficient on the top end)
  • 182/214: Idle-3700 (More mid-range efficiency)
Now my question is this, could I actually gain some power going with the 182/214? Or would I lose power? They say it is more efficient on the bottom end compared to the one I'm running, and I'll never see 4000rpm on the drag strip. Should I go for this cam? Or, if it isn't broke... you get the idea.

I have a ported head, intercooler, and s472sxe for air.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The 182/214 will be your best bet to spool that 472. 188/220 is the biggest drop in cam they recommend and will still improve your performance but if you have a 5.9 with a turbo that big on a vp truck you're better off with the 182. Not too mention a vp won't even fuel to max cam potential of the 188/220

I have one of the older 181/210 hamilton cams that I have been running for years and it spools turbos pretty quickly and there is plenty of bottom end power.

The 182/214 will be your best bet to spool that 472. 188/220 is the biggest drop in cam they recommend and will still improve your performance but if you have a 5.9 with a turbo that big on a vp truck you're better off with the 182. Not too mention a vp won't even fuel to max cam potential of the 188/220

I think this is spot on. I also think that you're going to spend a decent amount on a pretty similar cam, compared to the one you currently have. I am not sure you're going to notice a difference, and if you do, I think it'll be very slight. $.02

Yep, this past year has basically been straight work and no fun. The truck has sat since August and with the NHRDA thing in Sacramento on April 7th, I figured I'd try and get it running again. I went and cracked the damn block so that's why I'm having to rebuild it.

Do you think you will make it out there?

Back