182/214 vs 188/220

Turbobark

Made some searches, found some info, but I thought I'd just ask you guys.

I am currently in the process of a rebuild on my engine, and it has a 188/220 Hamilton in it. Since I'm always wanting to buy things, I've been looking at the 182/214 Hamilton.

From what I've gathered:
  • 188/220: Idle-4200 (More efficient on the top end)
  • 182/214: Idle-3700 (More mid-range efficiency)
Now my question is this, could I actually gain some power going with the 182/214? Or would I lose power? They say it is more efficient on the bottom end compared to the one I'm running, and I'll never see 4000rpm on the drag strip. Should I go for this cam? Or, if it isn't broke... you get the idea.

I have a ported head, intercooler, and s472sxe for air.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The 182/214 will be your best bet to spool that 472. 188/220 is the biggest drop in cam they recommend and will still improve your performance but if you have a 5.9 with a turbo that big on a vp truck you're better off with the 182. Not too mention a vp won't even fuel to max cam potential of the 188/220

I have one of the older 181/210 hamilton cams that I have been running for years and it spools turbos pretty quickly and there is plenty of bottom end power.

The 182/214 will be your best bet to spool that 472. 188/220 is the biggest drop in cam they recommend and will still improve your performance but if you have a 5.9 with a turbo that big on a vp truck you're better off with the 182. Not too mention a vp won't even fuel to max cam potential of the 188/220

I think this is spot on. I also think that you're going to spend a decent amount on a pretty similar cam, compared to the one you currently have. I am not sure you're going to notice a difference, and if you do, I think it'll be very slight. $.02

Yep, this past year has basically been straight work and no fun. The truck has sat since August and with the NHRDA thing in Sacramento on April 7th, I figured I'd try and get it running again. I went and cracked the damn block so that's why I'm having to rebuild it.

Do you think you will make it out there?

I'll be there. Not racing though. Have to pick up parts and a trailer so I don't want to risk something breaking.

Back