Rules

So just to be clear, the picture posted by prostockpuller would be illegal. Since the adjusters are attached above the centerline of axle rather than below it?

As I understand it, correct. There is supposed to be some more clarification coming down the pipeline soon as I was just told over the phone.

Couldn't be the same truck that got DQ'D & lost all the OSTPA points for the year & his Sidekick from New York?Goes by the name Causin Trouble & the Cure.

d070b92bc0f3397f259b89e351e48d7d.jpg

I don’t have a picture handy, but this is how it reads in the book. Most if not all of the SS trucks I have seen at NTPA events have adjusters coming straight down vertically from the hitch to a crossmember directly underneath which as I understand it is what will be required in NTPA now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats gotta be the biggest crock of $h!t I ever saw. Why not just police the illegal hitches instead of forcing a large number of legal trucks to completely redesign their hitch. Theres a ton of people out here with upwards facing adjusters myself included.

Dave,

If the adjusters were near vertical there is no problem....However the truck or hitch in question had the adjusters at near a 45 dgr angle. Any slotting of the eyelets combined with the severe angle will allow 2-4" of upward movement while hooked under a load. The hitch can be tightened in the down-most position that the hitch checker will not be able to catch or move prior to hooking. It would probably take 500lbs to physically move the hitch upwards of which the tug of the sled does accomplish.

Like I said it only takes one bad apple to ruin things for the vast majority.

The real issue that needs snuffed in the but is traction control.

However the truck or hitch in question had the adjusters at near a 45 dgr angle. Any slotting of the eyelets combined with the severe angle will allow 2-4" of upward movement while hooked under a load. The hitch can be tightened in the down-most position that the hitch checker will not be able to catch or move prior to hooking. It would probably take 500lbs to physically move the hitch upwards of which the tug of the sled does accomplish.

Like I said it only takes one bad apple to ruin things for the vast majority

That's a piece of $hit right there.

Thats gotta be the biggest crock of $h!t I ever saw. Why not just police the illegal hitches instead of forcing a large number of legal trucks to completely redesign their hitch. Theres a ton of people out here with upwards facing adjusters myself included.

The vast majority of the trucks I have seen, or in my area anyway, already have a place to either turn the adjusters down or weld the eyelets on underneath as that was the rule for NTPA before they even had the class. The reason it was never enforced is because PPL was slightly different and a desire for uniformity existed especially with OSTPA so close. I was told the other night there is supposed to be a much better explanation in the 2020 rulebook per Larry and MAYBE even a diagram?...but don't quote me on that.

Dane is 100% correct, the REAL issue.......traction control needs to be rectified FAST, or sanctioning bodies are liable to get fed up With the BS. $.02

Can the "traction control" be explained for those not in the know?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Traction control can be done a few different ways. Essentially it's reading sensors that show a tire or drive shaft over speeding (spinning,slipping) and changes how the truck reacts/runs to gain the full traction back. It can be done by timing of motor, slipping of clutch just to give you an idea..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's only CR guys that can write traction control into their tunes. Basically they can use a GPS sensor and sensors on the drive line to minimize wheel slippage. So they can leave the line and have the throttle wide open and the sensors dictate how much fuel is given to the engine by how much ground speed they are carrying. I've definitely watched some videos and seen and heard what sounds like it's happening.

Traction control is pretty easy to police if you ask me. Don’t allow any aftermarket ecm. Example the Bosch stand alone. Make it so you have to run factory ecm that came with engine that you are using. Heads up a stand alone vs efi live there isn’t a big diff in overall hp. There is just a lot more things to do with a Bosch system then efi live.

Watch the video at Croton at the 4:34 mark. In my opinion this is an example of traction control. Do you really think the driver was sawing back and forth on the throttle on his own "feeling" out the track? Not likely. I'm not throwing him under the bus but it is what it is. There are at least 4 Duramax setups using the Bosch stand alone systems in our area that I know of.

OSTPA Truck Tractor Pulling 2019: Croton, OH - YouTube

I’ll be the last one of the electronic guys that you better accuse of cheating sir.... I’d say most pullers that have been around me and my program will vouch for me.

Fuel rail pressure issues from trying a bio fuel mix the week before at a NTPA hook. Turns out it swells all the orings in the fuel system enuf it over and under shoots the rail desired rail pressure if you let it set in there over the week in the trailer in the heat. No more of that for me... I know better than to follow the band wagon on things like that but I had to try it.. that happed for 2 pulls until I changed fuel pressure regulators.... Ross co cotpc hook looked the same. Actually was worse. if you would like more info get ahold of me and you can get your facts to post on the inter web. thanks and congrats on winning that pull as well!

This may be the only instance I have seen where the points champion is worried about other people cheating. Everyone is on board about rules being followed and enforced, but punching down seems a bit petty.

This may be the only instance I have seen where the points champion is worried about other people cheating. Everyone is on board about rules being followed and enforced, but punching down seems a bit petty.

Lol was kind of thinking the same. Won the pull he posted and won the points.

Evan has been pulling diesel trucks about as long as anyone in the game and just from getting to know him the past 13 years I've been pulling, I'd say he's the last guy that needs to be accused of cheating.

I’ll be the last one of the electronic guys that you better accuse of cheating sir.... I’d say most pullers that have been around me and my program will vouch for me.

Fuel rail pressure issues from trying a bio fuel mix the week before at a NTPA hook. Turns out it swells all the orings in the fuel system enuf it over and under shoots the rail desired rail pressure if you let it set in there over the week in the trailer in the heat. No more of that for me... I know better than to follow the band wagon on things like that but I had to try it.. that happed for 2 pulls until I changed fuel pressure regulators.... Ross co cotpc hook looked the same. Actually was worse. if you would like more info get ahold of me and you can get your facts to post on the inter web. thanks and congrats on winning that pull as well!

Evan,

If that was the issue I apologize. If it was traction control I feel I must speak up for love of the sport. It absolutely is being used in some of the Duramax's and is not being policed. I don't think any of us want to end up in self driving trucks of which is where we will be within 5 years if something isn't done now.
I realize it's not the popular thing to do to step on toes and bring things to light that needs addressed. Not one of the duramax guys has commented on this thread till now.
I am not here to win a popularity contest and could care less about it.
If you Duramax pullers truly want to see the traction control thing go away...what are your suggestions?

Ron

Watch the video at Croton at the 4:34 mark. In my opinion this is an example of traction control. Do you really think the driver was sawing back and forth on the throttle on his own "feeling" out the track? Not likely. I'm not throwing him under the bus but it is what it is. There are at least 4 Duramax setups using the Bosch stand alone systems in our area that I know of.

OSTPA Truck Tractor Pulling 2019: Croton, OH - YouTube

Yes but if you watch the video the smoke is turning on and off at the end of the pull when he is spinning out as well. I would think if it was an effective traction control, it should be pulling it way back, unless it is more of just a "skip" injector pulse every so often.

Traction control is pretty easy to police if you ask me. Don’t allow any aftermarket ecm. Example the Bosch stand alone. Make it so you have to run factory ecm that came with engine that you are using. Heads up a stand alone vs efi live there isn’t a big diff in overall hp. There is just a lot more things to do with a Bosch system then efi live.

I dont disagree with this one bit, but it never should have been allowed in the first place IMO. The $15,000 computer should have been left for the big classes. But to outlaw it now I feel would be detrimental to the class as there is a good number that have them. As for how to police it otherwise...I don't have a good solution either. Maybe traction control is the future, NTPA has been fighting the battle for a long time with the EFI ban in other classes, but it certainly would take the fun out of it for me. I can't fathom spending all that money on fuel parts and then having no choice but to spend tens of thousands to control it all or get left behind. TC won't win every pull regardless, but it shines on the junk tracks.

Back